Downsizing

Adobe Photoshop, Canon DPP, Fuji software, various image post processing software, applications, tutorials, links to tutorials and experiences from our members.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Leen Koper
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Downsizing

Post by Leen Koper »

I am fed up with paying for each new edition of Photoshop CS. That is why I am considering downsizing. I just want to be using Lightroom and Photoshop Elements (with the NIK-filters)
Could anyone tell me any serious problems I am likely to meet? (except CMYK, which I don't use)?
DiederikVP
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: Downsizing

Post by DiederikVP »

Leen,
CS5 & raw 6.3 have multiple interesting new features and the noise control is exceptional but if nef conversion from the newest camera like D7000 is the only reason you are forced into a version upgrade you might consider conversion with viewnx2 to TIFF 8 or 16bit. From that TIFF you can use your older adobe version ... If you use picture control while shooting RAW, viewnx2 conversion will keep the settings, ACR does not.
Viewnx2 is well designed software with a nice interface.
Leen Koper
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: Downsizing

Post by Leen Koper »

Hi Diederik,

I cannot think of anything but "Curves" that I would miss in PSE, although my dear friend Grant Dixon has produced (http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Challe ... index.html) a work around to avoid this problem.

In fact, it is partly the pricing policy of Adobe too that makes me want to make the move to PSE. It is ridiculous that anycitizen of the US when his 5 year old son is in kindergarten is entitled to enjoy a "student" rebate and pay just only for a full version considerably less than I have to pay for just only an upgrade.