NIK plug ins

Adobe Photoshop, Canon DPP, Fuji software, various image post processing software, applications, tutorials, links to tutorials and experiences from our members.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Leen Koper
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

NIK plug ins

Post by Leen Koper »

I recently got the bundled software of NIK , Viveza, Sharpener, Dfine, Silver Efex and Color Efex. I only touched the surface of it, but it is worth every penny! I only used the sharpener, the skin softener, the soft focus, the B&W filter and some other filters, but the results are exceptional.

The sharpener is immediately correct, not like the old NIK sharpener which you always had to use on a layer and pull back to about 50%. The skin softener works perfectly; new is the automatic creation of a new layer on which the filter is applied (like on all other filters by NIK) so you can add as much as you like. And the possibilities of the Silver Efects are endless, among others a filter that mimics my former favourites (yes I am that old) Agfapan 100 and 400!

But the thing that surprised me most was the soft focus filter. It is just like the old Softar made by Carl Zeiss. Wonderful!This bundled software really is the most exciting thing next to Photoshop and the best invention after sliced bread; I really am enthousiastic about it and that is a rare occurence.
pam.meier

Re: NIK plug ins

Post by pam.meier »

Leen, I would love to get the NIK filters, but they are incredibly expensive. Did you get some kind of discount?
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

Yes, they are expensive. But you can buy one at a time. Moreover, there is a trial period of 15 days, so you can see for yourself which one you think is of great help to you.
RudyDusslier

Some results with NIK efex Pro...

Post by RudyDusslier »

Goodevening everybody,

Underneath some pictures with the classical soft focus efex pro plugin. All these pictures have been PP with Lab colors, 10% Lucisart and after that soft focus.

Does anybody know if it woks already in 64bit?

Thanks for looking,
Greetings,
Rudy.
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

Those are really lovely. Just the shop interior is a little overdone in Lucis to my liking.
RudyDusslier

Post by RudyDusslier »

Hello Leen,

I agree the shop interior is not the best. It´s very strange, but the picture you see on the forum doesn´t look the same as the one I see on my screen with the original pixels. The saturation and the contast is missing . Is there some explanation for this?

Greetings,
Rudy
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

It might be you are viewing this on a non calibrated monitor now?
RudyDusslier

Post by RudyDusslier »

I look on the same monitor.
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Rudy, some browsers cannot display color profiles. Sounds like you used Adobe RGB in this image and see it in sRGB.
I like those images, but I would reduce the effect. Will try out the soft focus and other NIK soon.

Best,
Pam
DrDusslierR wrote:Hello Leen,

I agree the shop interior is not the best. It´s very strange, but the picture you see on the forum doesn´t look the same as the one I see on my screen with the original pixels. The saturation and the contast is missing . Is there some explanation for this?

Greetings,
Rudy
RudyDusslier

Web browsers and colour profiles... Thanks Pamela

Post by RudyDusslier »

Rudy, some browsers cannot display color profiles. Sounds like you used Adobe RGB in this image and see it in sRGB.
I like those images, but I would reduce the effect. Will try out the soft focus and other NIK soon.
Best, Pam
You are totally right Pamela, I changed the original picture already by the sRGB one. I was reading about this in a Scott Kelby book some time ago, but while I never had a problem with this before, I didn't take care. This was a good lesson...
Thanks...

BTW, the difference is enormous:
The sRGB version:

and the Adobe version:

Greetings,

Rudy
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Now I have bought the NIK collection and like it a lot.

What kind of filters of the color efex, for example, do you like using the most?
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

The three most used, as a portraitist:
Dynamic skin softener. It saves me a lot of time and, most important, it creates automatically a layer so I can reduce the opacity partly or as a whole.
Classical soft focus.
Skylight.
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Why do you use skylight?

I like adding a little glamour glow ;)
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

Pam, I use skylight mainly to give a nice warm colour to the background and erase about 50% of it from the person(s) in the image. Works very well for me. It brings a nice colour I could as well do in Photoshop, but not that easy.
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Leen, I will try that out!
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

Of course it applies only to environmental portraits on location outside.
RudyDusslier

Post by RudyDusslier »

Good evening Pamela and Leen,

A very interesting discussion between you about those filters, Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I like those filters very much as well.
Underneath a landscape from this afternoon PP with glamour glow.

Greetings,
Rudy