Fairy Glen

Here affiliated forum members can post pictures...
BrianSmith
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Fairy Glen

Post by BrianSmith »

This is the Fairy Glen at Uig on the Isle of Skye. Whatever the light it somehow always manages to remain spooky. Unfortunately for most of the day you are shooting here against the light but late in the day it looks like this.

Leen Koper

Re: Fairy Glen

Post by Leen Koper »

This is an image of one of the places I would like to visit! The images on your website too are showing the wonderful landscape you are living in. I envy you!
RudyDusslier

Post by RudyDusslier »

Hello Brian,

Indeed a wonderful landscape.
Is this a picture out of te camera or is it postprocessed? For me it looks a little flat and the colours, especially the greens, don´t look natural to me.

Greetings,
Rudy
BrianSmith
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by BrianSmith »

DrDusslierR wrote:Hello Brian,

Indeed a wonderful landscape.
Is this a picture out of te camera or is it postprocessed? For me it looks a little flat and the colours, especially the greens, don´t look natural to me.

Greetings,
Rudy
Hi Rudy, lighting in the Fairy Glen is bizarre, it's one of the reasons why it gives people a strange feeling just standing there. It's a passage through steep sided mounds clothed in green that were probably the terminal moraine of a local glacier. Sunlight mostly doesn't reach the floor and so everything is illuminated by high blue sky and the green reflected by everything else. Hence all the greens tend to look emerald. If you WB the shot for the grey road surface everything looks sickly, yellow and really unnatural.

The exposure range was a bit extreme. Even after the use of a neutral grad the brightest bit of the sky by the trees on the right is close to clipping the blue at 240 while the grass down near the waterline was around 30. I guess any way of accommodating this was going to leave the grass looking a bit flat but I chose to use tone mapping from SNS-HDR (which I didn't have at the time of the shot or I would have done a bracketed sequence) which I find gives the most natural looking result. It's only because of the low noise of the D3 at 200iso that the shadows weren't packed with grain. Despite all of this I think the shot gives a pretty good simulation of having been there at the time.
James

Post by James »

Hey Brian,

How are you? I'm off up to Skye for a few days from Sunday or Monday - anywhere in particular I should go and look at - this place looks beautiful!

Also is there snow at the moment?

Amazing photo, keep sharing :)

Thanks,

James
BrianSmith
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by BrianSmith »

James wrote:Hey Brian,

How are you? I'm off up to Skye for a few days from Sunday or Monday - anywhere in particular I should go and look at - this place looks beautiful!

Also is there snow at the moment?

Amazing photo, keep sharing :)

Thanks,

James
Hi James. Not bad thank you, just fought my way to the supermarket :evil:

Lots of snow on the mountains and hills at the moment, very picturesque but the sun and blue skies we have had since last Saturday evaporated last night and a bit of a thaw set in at low levels. We are in a bit of a green bubble here, if you drive 2 miles in any direction it all goes white again. We have snow forecast for tonight and tomorrow morning.
I would definitely go up Trotternish to Staffin, go to Elgol but spend most of the time on that road around Torrin and Loch Slapin. I imagine the road to Neist Point would be stunning in the snow but the latter parts of it might be a bit hairy to drive. If you can get over the hill road from Staffin past the Quiraing then it will be beautiful in good weather along by Kilmuir. Or you could just spend a couple of days at the Talisker Distillery ;)

Here was dawn from my bedroom a couple of days ago.

Hope your trip goes well, where are you staying? I live in Ullinish.

Cheers
James

Post by James »

Thanks for the tips Brian - it doesn't mean anything to me yet, I've been busy working and leaving to someone else to sort out!!

We're staying here: http://www.kinloch-lodge.co.uk/

It seems fairly central, I'm hoping it's as nice as the description says, it's our honeymoon! My (soon to be) wife's family live near Oban so depending on how far up the country we get we will be seeing them Monday morning then carrying on up to Skye to stay there until Thursday (I think!)

We have nothing planned at all at the moment - and might not even make it if the snow gets worse, I am obviously bringing my camera though and I'm hoping we'll be walking a bit.

As for the distillery - I haven't drunk for about 8 years, I think that it would be a bad place to start again!!

Thank you again :)
BrianSmith
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by BrianSmith »

James wrote:Thanks for the tips Brian - it doesn't mean anything to me yet, I've been busy working and leaving to someone else to sort out!!

We're staying here: http://www.kinloch-lodge.co.uk/

It seems fairly central, I'm hoping it's as nice as the description says, it's our honeymoon! My (soon to be) wife's family live near Oban so depending on how far up the country we get we will be seeing them Monday morning then carrying on up to Skye to stay there until Thursday (I think!)

We have nothing planned at all at the moment - and might not even make it if the snow gets worse, I am obviously bringing my camera though and I'm hoping we'll be walking a bit.

As for the distillery - I haven't drunk for about 8 years, I think that it would be a bad place to start again!!

Thank you again :)
I know where the hotel is, the roads down to it from the Skye bridge are excellent. It's not actually very central but Sleat is wonderful. If you get there the Elgol road is quite close with a number of walks available. A little further south make sure you go round the loop road via Tarskavaig where there is a classic view across to the Cuillins. The hotel is famous for cookery courses so even if you don't drink you can eat yourself silly. Oh and congratulations :D :D
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

Hi Brian,

Thanks for posting this.
Seems like a very beautiful/ quiet place to live.
Show and tell us more about it please.

Thanks and kindest regards,

Stany
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
James

Post by James »

Thanks Brian, that's all very helpful and thank you for the congratulations too :)

The food was the big draw for us - we had to come to Scotland anyway for a family reason but I've always wanted to come to Skye, so when we found a Michelin starred hotel that included food in the price the decision was made!! :D :D