Malawi Trip - lots of images

Here affiliated forum members can post pictures...
James

Malawi Trip - lots of images

Post by James »

Hi guys,

I wrote on here a while ago about advice and recommendations for kit for a project I had coming up - well now I have been and returned and thought that I should share.

My girlfriend was in Malawi working with the Anglican Church which has a linked Diocese to her church in the UK. She was over there for 4 months and I went out for the last 2 weeks to help document work that the Church was doing as well as other work that was taking place. My images are going to be used on her websites and I am going to be making a photobook that actually documents the trip a bit more.

Anyway, here are the photos, feel free to give criticism or ask questions if you're interested about the country or volunteering! :)

Sophie giving blood - on the last day we decided to both give blood as the bank was completely empty :(

We saw so many people that were suffering from HIV and other terminal illnesses - the guy in the white shirt used UNICEF kits to give aid to everyone though - he's one of the most amazing people I've ever met.

There was no electricity for the first 8 to days so the night skys were amazing!

It was also a lot greener with more wildlife than I was expecting

There were some amazing projects too - In a village that was an hours drive from a tarmac road there was a school for blind children that had students that had gone to university and even become teachers. I was very impressed by this, I am ashamed to say that I assumed that blind people would be left to die. Other images are of a hospital we visited

Sophie had her birthday there

I spent a lot of time playing with and talking to children and Sophie's friend was working at a nursery - the experience was just incredible, it wasn't all positive but overall I have a lot of fond memories

Thanks for looking :)
danm_cool
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: Malawi Trip - lots of images

Post by danm_cool »

Nice pictures, I like the kid's portrait, he has amazing eyes!
James

Re: Malawi Trip - lots of images

Post by James »

Thanks Dan,

I have quite a few like that it seems to be the Malawian stare! It's amazing how much you can see in the reflections a lot of the time.

James