Enzo Calzaghe

Here affiliated forum members can post pictures...

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Geoff_Roughton
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Enzo Calzaghe

Post by Geoff_Roughton »

I did a series for The Ring magazine of Enzo Calzaghe, father of boxing champion Joe Calzaghe. Enzo had won the international trainer of the year award and the shots were used for the magazines main feature article. I've posted my fav shots from the shoot on our blog please feel free to have a gander and let me know your thoughts.

They are here http://gandsphotographyblog.co.uk/enzo-calzaghe-the-man-behind-the-champion/
Best
Geoff
"always look on the bright side of life...."
www.gandsphotography.co.uk
James

Re: Enzo Calzaghe

Post by James »

Hey Geoff,

Coming from a welsh family it would be difficult for me to ignore the Calzaghes, Joe is one of my top 5 favourite fighters ever (and I've followed boxing pretty much since I was a toddler) the way he picked apart Jeff Lacey when even he doubted it was amazing - and he owes a lot of that to the training, tactics and belief that Enzo adds. For a few years our little Italian was the king of european and possibly world boxing, what an exceptional man.

So, putting aside my jealousy that you got to spend time with them and that you were on a paid sports assignemnt... back to your photos!

I love the style that you've gone for, very 70s, and you've actually made him look surprisingly young (he must have been very happy). I like the selective focus (and to a certain extent, lighting) style you are using too - he's definitely the subject in all of the pictures without it feeling forced. How did you light them? Was it off camera flash or just positioning people in the right places and using reflectors?

Good work.

(now, how do I try to break into the area - are you looking for an assistant? ;) )
Geoff_Roughton
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Post by Geoff_Roughton »

James thanks for the comments.....its quite trying doing these gigs.....they dont want to stand around for long. Only 2 of the shots were actually posed the rest were grabs of Enzo doing his thing.
Lighting was a mixture of available, and on and off camera strobes.....the action stuff being shot on rear curtain to get a bit of movement in some of them.
As for breaking into this field ya welcome to it:-) I'm getting very picky what I do these days, they have to pay me well to do it now and want me to do it....there is one heck of a lot of wannabe's for this stuff.
The guys who are the subjects though do it all on personal relationship.....I'm one of the few togs to get into Enzo's gym during world championship training to grab editorial stuff.....they must like me or something:-)
Best
Geoff
"always look on the bright side of life...."
www.gandsphotography.co.uk
James

Post by James »

I can imagine that they don't want to be disturbed at all really - you don't become best in the world at anything by standing around posing for photographs (well except being a model)

Thanks for sharing on the light, I guessed any action with light was rear curtain as the streaks are the right way :)

And as for breaking into the field - I realise that I have a lot to learn which is why I was jokingly asking if you want an assistant, it's not just to open the door! I've spent some time with a commercial fashion photographer and realised that it's not for me. I've looked at wedding photographers and realised that it's 90+% personality, and I imagine that it is the same for your editorial style photographs, you need to capture great moments rather than force them like the fashion ones.

Photography is such a big subject!!

Thanks again