A few practice shots

Here affiliated forum members can post pictures...

Moderator: Stany Buyle

James

A few practice shots

Post by James »

Hey all on the forum,

Sorry I've not been posting much lately, I've been very busy with projects overrunning and now overlapping... However there was one that I was really looking forward to that I'm not allowed to share yet! (It is photography based!!)

In the meantime here are some practice shots that I have been taking to try and know my kit and software better, all of these are taken on my Sony A900 with either the Zeiss 24-70mm or the Zeiss 85mm f1.4. I am very in love with photography again right now! :D :D

My models are my son Oscar (as usual) and my girlfriend Sophie.

Let me know what you think :)

Thanks for looking :)
Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: A few practice shots

Post by Stany Buyle »

I find the pictures very nice, especially n°1 and n°5
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
James

Post by James »

Thank you very much Stany, young children always make better photos! :)

I am so excited about this new work and really want to share - but I can't until some time in October... I might see if I can find a way to get some of the images up - in the meantime I am going to blog a bit about it without giving anything away or posting images but I got to work with an established professional photographer in the UK last week.
FVanDerLinden
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by FVanDerLinden »

Hallo.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but what is the difference if this photos were taken with a little camera?
Do not misunderstand me, the pictures are beautiful, I just want to get explaination about this to learn.
I have a old, "but professional", D100 and 28-105 lens, and I find my dauchters pictures with her 150 euro pocket camera much better than mine...
D100 and 28-105 lens, no money for more, but happy...
Greetings from Gent, Frans.
ADeVos
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by ADeVos »

FVanDerLinden wrote:Hallo.Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but what is the difference if this photos were taken with a little camera?
DOF(depth of field) and DR(dynamic range) are some of the big differences between little cams and pro cams. You should be able to make much better pics with your D100 than your daughter with her P&S, but lots depend on who is behind the camera. ;)
Greetings from Belgium
Andre
James

Post by James »

FVanDerLinden wrote:Hallo.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but what is the difference if this photos were taken with a little camera?
Do not misunderstand me, the pictures are beautiful, I just want to get explaination about this to learn.
I have a old, "but professional", D100 and 28-105 lens, and I find my dauchters pictures with her 150 euro pocket camera much better than mine...
Hey, that's not a problem and thank you for the compliment! :)

As Andre explained the biggest difference for me is the control over the depth of focus/field that you get with a larger sensor - you also generally have access to better lenses, if you look at the first picture of my son sleeping that is taken handheld at 1/5s at f/1.4, the Sony camera has stabilisation in the camera body so I could handhold it that slowly but still I needed a large aperture to make it useable at all. Otherwise it was only boosting the ISO that was left to me and that's not something that I really like doing personally (I'm still not used to being able to change it without swapping my roll of film!)

Also I love the real vignetting and the softness at the corners and edges that you sometimes get with lenses when they are used on the larger sensor, it draws your eye to other parts of the image naturally.

I was discussing this with my father the other day who shoots on a much larger format (5 inch x 4 inch film) and I realised that the Sony a900 allows me to show other people how I see things much more easily than any other digital camera I've used (I started in digital with the D70 which is very similar to your D100 and both are capable of some stunning results) - he finds the same with his large format view camera, he sees in the same way as the camera which is why he doesn't want to switch to dSLR as his only camera still.

Good question and I hope I helped with my answer!
IlCatalano
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Post by IlCatalano »

I find these pictures intimate and spontaneous, a nice and "warm" family reportage.
My preferred shots are n°1, 2, and 5; I love in the n°1 the limited DoF that underlines the dreaming expression of you son Oscar.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Elio