I prefer tamron 28-75 F2.8 over nikon 24-70 F2.8 on D700

Lens and Camera reviews by our members...

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

I prefer tamron 28-75 F2.8 over nikon 24-70 F2.8 on D700

Post by Stany Buyle »

I'm amazed about the sharpness of my tamron 28-75 F2.8.
About a year ago I bought a nikon 24-70 F2.8 but returned it after a week because of size, weight and the nasty lens shade it provides while using the D700' PUFlash until 42mm. Next to that I find that lenses in this price range "need" to have VR.

Initially I used my old nikkor 28-105 as walk around lens but after having been advised towards the tamron 28-75 by GuyVH -professional photographer and moderator on this forum-, some time later I found a non-motorised tamron 28-75 F2.8 for a bargain price. I must say that I was quite sceptical about the idea how a 325euro lens could be optically great... Guy VH adviced me to search for the discontinued non-motorised version while it focuses much faster than the new motorised version... Another given that made me sceptical...
After some pictures the reason of the bargain price became clear to me while I could'nt get one sharp image with, even while stopping down to F8...
Tried to AF-tune this lens and after a 2-3 hours testing this lens turned out to be a very sharp lens. I needed a AF-tune correction of -15. And about AF, Guy was also right. Taking into account that this lens is screw driven it focuses really fast.

From this pictures - which were all taken at F2.8 ánd with the D700' PUFlash-, one picture and a crop. Camera size and PUFlash were my main reasons to "downgrade" from D3 to D700, a decision about which I'm still very happy, after 2½ years D700...

A "real" 100% crop from the above picture out of the NEF file(20% local sharpening applied) and saved in highest jpeg quality :

A summery of my reasons why I prefer tamron 28-75 F2.8 over the nikkor 24-70 F2.8:
  • weight
  • size and the ability to use the D700 PUFlash without lens shade
  • very
  • good close up ability
  • price
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Leen Koper
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: I prefer tamron 28-75 F2.8 over nikon 24-70 F2.8 on D700

Post by Leen Koper »

I own this lens too and indeed, it is surprising how it performs. I do fully agree with you!