Nikon 24mm F1.4. - Steve, how good is the new 24mm F1.4?

Lens and Camera reviews by our members...

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Nikon 24mm F1.4. - Steve, how good is the new 24mm F1.4?

Post by Stany Buyle »

I consider that lens for use on FX. Your input would help to decide...
Thanks.
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Steve Bingham

Re: Steve, how good is the new 24mm F1.4?

Post by Steve Bingham »

Stany, this wonderful lens appears to be a mixed bag. The center resolution is fantastic, but all the tests I have seen seem to show some edge and corner softness up to about f4 or f5.6. Vignetting is also a small problem - though easily fixed in Capture or ACR. The question I have is whether the edge softness is caused by field curvature or not. If it's field curvature, then it really should not affect what I shoot. It would effect most resolution tests unless focus was made on the edge or corner, then tested for resolution. I will need to have the lens in my hand to make a proper evaluation. Sorry. That said, it does appear to be the best option out there at 24mm, including the 14-24!
Steve Bingham

Post by Steve Bingham »

On further testing:
It is my belief that the corner fall-off in resolution is mainly due to field curvature. That is, on flat testing surfaces within 3-5 meters it will show up. On landscapes it will matter very little. Good news for me as I rarely shoot test targets! :D In short, one heck of a landscape lens!!!
Steve Bingham

Post by Steve Bingham »

On further use of the Nikon 24mm f1.4 I am VERY impressed. It would seem to be an excellent choice for the landscape photographer. My images taken at Arches National Park show no flare and excellent sharpness right into the corners - especially at f8 where I tend to live - and even f11 (which I often need for DOF).

I am looking at an old ghost town cabin taken at f11 and 1/25 on a monopod and I am impressed. Sharp right into all 4 corners. My kind of lens!!!!!
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

Hey Steve,
I know the 24 mm F1.4 is the ultimate landscape lens but I find it a bit expensive for a fixed focal.
I bought the tamron 24-70 F2.8 VC last week and I'm blown away by the optics of this lens.
Center sharpness equals or even surpasses my 28mm F1.8 at F2.8, can you imagine? Sharpness with normal AF is consistent from 24 to 70mm at F2.8... No difference in sharpness with LV or normal AF. (only tested with center points)
For good corners you have to stop down, but while landscape is done at F8+, this lens suits me perfectly.
Upto that, I'm not an expert landscape photographer and I like the versatility a zoom brings...
One thing to consider while going for this lens: There might be some more sample variation among 24-70 VC than what you see among the Nikon and Canon 24-70 F2.8 counterparts. My first copy wasn't sharp wide open, while my second is simply incredible sharp from F2.8...
But, in relation to the "good or bad lens samples" I strongly believe in lens-body match. One lens can be a dream on one body and terrible back or front focusing on another one.... TMHO the match between the bodies yaw and pitch setting has to cover the AF alignment of the lens... Would love to read Marianne Oelund or another expert on this subject.

Kindest regards,
Stany
Steve Bingham

Post by Steve Bingham »

I think the new Tamron 24-70 f2.8 is an awesome lens! Great bargain! More importantly, it has image stabilization! The Nikon 24 f1.4 is a tad sharper - especially in the corners - and the Tamron weighs 1/3 more. Neither the Nikon 24mm 1.4 nor the Sigma 35 1.4 has image stabilization. Some would argue that landscapers would use a tripod. Not necessarily true! Had I not had such an early lust for the Sigma 35mm f1.4 I might have opted for the Tamron.
GAshby
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by GAshby »

Thanks.