Sony NEX 6 - my new allround APS-C system

Lens and Camera reviews by our members...

Moderator: Stany Buyle

pam.meier

Sony NEX 6 - my new allround APS-C system

Post by pam.meier »

I have been using this extensively for the past year. After trying µFT, and Nikon 1 and liking it, it turned out that APS-C has become my main system. The Nikon D800 + lenses will only be used if I need the extra quality.

I use the NEX 6 for product shots till A4 (21 cm x 27 cm) and as a travel camera mainly. On depreview.com you can see my gear present and past:
http://www.dpreview.com/members/4580081155/gearlist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The lenses start from 10 mm till 200 mm which is a very nice allround system. I also own the LA-EA2 adapter, so it would be easy to add 300 mm to the system as well, but so far I haven´t needed it. I will look through my images and post some samples soon.
Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: Sony NEX 6 - my new allround APS-C system

Post by Stany Buyle »

Hi Pam,
Interesting. Finally you went back to Sony. Will you buy their newest generation DSLRs? Do you still have/use your Sony 900?

Kindest regards,
Stany
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Hi Stany, I have been using the NEX system since 2010 when it came out and have been adding lenses ever since. It´s the NEX 6, though, which I feel is a mature camera.

As for my A900, it had to go in favor of the D800 which I still have and will keep for a long time. Instead of adding a Sigma 35 1.4 to my D800, I bought an Sony RX1 which is a wonderfully compact FX camera, albeit a slow focusser.

The A7(R) would be a new system and I don´t think I want to start again. The lenses will be quite bulky and expensive. Both won´t appeal to me. But let´s wait and see. It took me a year to buy an RX1 and maybe I will pick up an A7 one day. At the beginning of December I will go to a photo fair and handle it for a few shots.
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

It does not surprise me at all you went for a camera like the Sony NEX 6 The "new" mirrorless cameras have grown rather mature in such a short time. Not having to carry the weight of a full DSLR gear with its rather bulky lenses is quite a new experience.
I love it. Where once I advocated a rather heavy set of a few Mamiya 645 's with ten lenses and a heavy tripod as the ultimate gear, shortly ago I went the m4/3 way and really enjoy the reduced weight.
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Leen, I also have an Olmpus E-PL5 which I like very much, but so far the NEX 6 gets the most use.
What µFT do you use?
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

Pam, after a long time considering the pro's and con's I chose the Panasonic G6. It looks like a small DSLR as it has a viewfinder. I need that, because I cannot take a serious photograph with my arms stretched.
I bought it as a kit with a 14-42 and 40-150 lens, a combination that fulfils most of my needs.
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

I bought a G5 for a client with coworkers who have to take photos on events and it is almost fool-proof.
I like it a lot. They use the normal kit lens, I sold them mine, but use a smaller Panasonic power zoom on my E-PL5.

I´m looking hard at the GM1, though.