Sigma 150-600 HSM OS S, first impressions

Lens and Camera reviews by our members...

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Sigma 150-600 HSM OS S, first impressions

Post by Stany Buyle »

Yesterday I was handling the Sigma 150-600 HSM OS S extensively at Art & Craft in Ghent. Wow!!!
After the debacle I experienced with the Tamron 150-600 I had high hopes for this other affordable super tele zoom, and my prayers seem to be for filled.
Unfortunately the Nikon version was't available yet so I had to do it on a 5D MkIII body which I am not so common with than my Nikon gear.
  • This lens simply looks fantastic .... Extremely well built, extremely well finished, very professional look and feel. 10 points. :o :o :o
  • The weight initially made me want to wait for the C version but yesterday I changed my mind. While the lens is relative compact despite the big glass elements it feels well balanced on a professional camera body. 8 points.
    Don't get me wrong on this, it is a heavy lens. :|
  • Also optically this lens seems to be a REAL winner. Tack sharp from 150 to 600mm, also wide open. 10 points. :o
  • Focusing speed is very fast and accurate, no hesitation whatsoever for focus acquisition, neither on less contrasty subjects and relative dim light... 10 points. :o
  • The OS seems to do a great job, not that outstanding as the Nikon 80-400 AF-S does but (much) better than its tamron counterpart and in a much more silent way. 9 points. :D

The sample images I took yesterday were perfect for evaluation but not for publication because I mainly took pictures of people at short and long distance in the street were the Art & Craft is located.
Price, 1899 at the time of this review, is a bargain for such an extremely well finished, professional tele zoom lens.
Compared to the tamron 150-600mm it might look much more expensive, but they belong technically and mechanically in a totally different league: Pro use for the Sigma against fun use for the Tamron.

I expect my copy to arrive soon and I will try to publish an interesting user report with many pictures.

Thanks for your attention and kindest regards,

Stany

:arrow: related topic: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR user review
Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: Sigma 150-600 HSM OS S, first impressions

Post by Stany Buyle »

Finally went for the new Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR
Still not sure if I made the right choice... :? :roll: :?:
Weight difference, which was my main concern, between the Nikon and the Sigma is "only" 560 grams...

Choices, choices... :? :roll: :?:
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe