Just picked up my D3s, some first impressions...

Lens and Camera reviews by our members...

Moderator: Stany Buyle

RudyDusslier

Just picked up my D3s, some first impressions...

Post by RudyDusslier »

Just picked up my D3s. I went for a D3s as a perfect complement for D3X for very low light conditions without flash.
My very first impressions: Movies in very low light without noise..., this was unimaginable with my Sony digital filmcamera. I guess this camera will bring me back to my former hobby(film)...

I will post D3 vs D3s low light-real life samples as a comparison later on this week.

Greetings,

Rudy.
Leen Koper
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: Just picked up my D3s...

Post by Leen Koper »

Congratulations on your new camera!
But keep photography as your first hobby, you cannot hang a movie on the wall. ;-)
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Congratulations! I have used a D3 for some time now and I can hardly image how much better it could perform in high ISO.
So glad you will show some comparisons.
RudyDusslier

Post by RudyDusslier »

Hello Pamela and Leen,

I will keep photography as my first hobby, but it´s always nice to take some film shots from my three years old little girl.
On high ISO there is a lot of difference with the D3. I will prove this in the coming days with some pictures!

Greetings,
Rudy
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Take your time, Rudy, but don´t keep us waiting too long ;)
Your efforts are much appreciated.
Stany Buyle

D3s' sensor capabilities are simply unbelievable...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Yesterday evening I was making some pictures with Rudy's camera @ very high isos, and this is even better than what I expected... With this camera, if you don't take attention you can do a full photo session thinking you're shooting @ iso 200-400 while you're accidently still @ iso 3200, you will barely notice your wrong setting in a first view...
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

What will be interesting is colors and dynamic range at high ISOs.
While I don´t mind shooting at 3200 ISOs with the D3 noisewise, I don´t like colors and DR, though.
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

pam.meier wrote:What will be interesting is colors and dynamic range at high ISOs.
While I don´t mind shooting at 3200 ISOs with the D3 noisewise, I don´t like colors and DR, though.
That's exactly the difference, colours remain intact... Very impressing...
Couldn't test about DR though with the approx 50 shots I took, but Rudy will do later on this week...

One sample I took yesterday evening with Rudy's D3s from his lovely daugther: (Picture by "Uncle Stany"...)

ISO 10.000 !!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS If you would like to participate in this discussion you have to join this forum first. While our forum policy is not to accept any anonymous members in order to avoid bashing, trolling and rude talk, just send an email with your (real)name, website and your email adress to Image
(gmail and hotmail accounts are not accepted). After evaluation you'll get a login and password within 24 hours which will enable you to participate in our discussions and post pictures on our board.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
RudyDusslier

Portrait by candlelight @ iso 10.000

Post by RudyDusslier »

D3s is simply better than my D3X with exception of resolution until iso 800... Colour accuracy is stunning, colour and detail rendition @ high iso is mindblowing. From iso1600 upwards, D3s beats D3X even about detail

Thanks for looking and greetings,
Rudy
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Which proves that the D3x is not aimed at performing in high ISO ranges ;)
My Sony A900 is only operated at ISO 200-320 and that´s what it is made for.

The candle light shot is spectacular noisewise, I do see posterization on the forehead, but it could be easily corrected in post.
RudyDusslier

Kaprijke village @ night with D3s @ iso 6400

Post by RudyDusslier »

Thanks for looking,
greetings,
Rudy
James

Re: Just picked up my D3s, some first impressions...

Post by James »

Hey Rudy, is there anywhere that I can see these images larger, I am really stunned by the quality at the ISOs you are using - I am seriously trying to work out if I should be saving for one of these, I was amazed with my D300 but this is something else!
RudyDusslier

Post by RudyDusslier »

James wrote:Hey Rudy, is there anywhere that I can see these images larger, I am really stunned by the quality at the ISOs you are using - I am seriously trying to work out if I should be saving for one of these, I was amazed with my D300 but this is something else!
Hi James,
Underneath a 100%crop from the above image.

Greetings,

Rudy
James

Post by James »

Thanks Rudy, It looks like its starting to smear a bit in the darker areas but even so for ISO 6400 that's very impressive!

I hope you are still having fun with it. :)