Moiré when printing

Information about hardware & software, firmware updates, internet, problems and solutions.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Leen Koper
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Moiré when printing

Post by Leen Koper »

Some time ago I noticed some very strong moiré in my printed images of a wedding. Not on my screen, but just only in my prints. The groom was wearing a very narrow striped suit in which the moiré showed.
After consulting a lot of people and a steadily rising panic at last the solution came from a photographer from Singapore. The images I usually print at 300dpi, but after printing at 360dpi, the native resolution of the Epson 7800, the moiré suddenly disappeared.

A good thing to remember; my printing now only happens at 360dpi. It is no problem any more that these striped suits seem to be very fashionable at the moment. Just cannot wait until my competitors will meet the same problem.... ;)
Stany Buyle

Re: Moiré when printing

Post by Stany Buyle »

Interesting information. Thanks for posting.
Kindest regards,
Stany
Steve Bingham

Post by Steve Bingham »

True. The native resolution of almost all Epson printers is 360 (a few are 720). When resampling for printing always use 360 OR an even fraction of 360. Many have tested, and found, that 240 works great with no discernable difference between it and 360. When the printer sees 300 it has to convert to 360. This can sometimes cause a resolution drop - or moire in your case.
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

Would my printer use more or less ink, when printing in 240, 360 or 720 dpi? Just curious.