PC speed... 5 years old PC vs new dual core system...

Information about hardware & software, firmware updates, internet, problems and solutions.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

photoforfun
AFFILIATED MEMBER

PC speed... 5 years old PC vs new dual core system...

Post by photoforfun »

I have a 4-5 year old system with Intel 2.8 Ghz processor, 2Gb RAM, Intel motherboard etc... Windows XP pro 32 bit
and
a 6 months Dual core Intel E6750, 4Gb RAM, MSI platinium P35 MB, several hard drives and Wndows XP pro 32 bit
On both systems approx the same programs are installed... I know Windows 32 bit only uses 3.25GbRAM...
My 5 years old system is in most of the use -especially start up- , WAY faster as my new system...
I reinstalled several times, tried Vista ultimate etc...No change, the old system wins hands down about start up speed

I would like to know why.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Kindest regards, Stany
I prefer one really good picture in a day over 10 bad ones in a second... http://www.fotografie.fr/
DavidLake
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Umm, this makes no sense...

Post by DavidLake »

I have owned a small IT company for 15 years and have as much PC knowledge as anyone you will meet, and I have trouble understanding this. If you have a lousy video card in the new system (doubt it), this could cause some issue. If you have older drivers or BIOS this could cause some issue. Also, some hard drives will have faulty (or failing) components that can cause them to perform inordinately slowly. I recommend getting some benchmark software to test both machines. This should lead you to the culprit. Search the web, there are tons of free ones. Make sure to test: CPU operations, hard drive read/write, memory bandwidth/speed, video speed. You will likely find a deficiency in there somewhere. If not, check to make sure you have turned off and uninstalled all (this means everything) AV & anti-spyware apps - Spysweeper is a known trouble maker on certain computers for no reason. We had to discontinue recommending it. The new system should be ~100% faster (more in some applications). Let mw know...
(NPS, WPPI, PPA)
Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Underwhile Vista 64bit and... WOW //Re: Umm, this makes no s

Post by Stany Buyle »

DavidLake wrote:I have owned a small IT company for 15 years and have as much PC knowledge as anyone you will meet, and I have trouble understanding this. If you have a lousy video card in the new system (doubt it), this could cause some issue. If you have older drivers or BIOS this could cause some issue. Also, some hard drives will have faulty (or failing) components that can cause them to perform inordinately slowly. I recommend getting some benchmark software to test both machines. This should lead you to the culprit. Search the web, there are tons of free ones. Make sure to test: CPU operations, hard drive read/write, memory bandwidth/speed, video speed. You will likely find a deficiency in there somewhere. If not, check to make sure you have turned off and uninstalled all (this means everything) AV & anti-spyware apps - Spysweeper is a known trouble maker on certain computers for no reason. We had to discontinue recommending it. The new system should be ~100% faster (more in some applications). Let mw know...

Hi David,
I have quite a bit of PC experience, user since first windows after having programmed basic on my Tandy 2000 25 years ago, currently using -(all of diff PC's)- win98(on a computer that controls a machine), win 2000, win XPpro and now, and very recently Win Vista 64bit after being unimpressed about Vista 32 bit. I assemble my PC's and configurate my OS's since I started using PC, I also install and upgrade PC's for a couple of friends...
My findings about Vista64 are "WOW" ..., just fantastic after approx 2 months of use. With Vista 64bit I have a very remarkable speed increase on about everything, very probably also partly because I can now use 4Gb of RAM or more, I also use 32Gb ready boost USB stick which seems to help in some applications. The stability is close to perfect and about compatibility there is no problem, I also installed the Fuji HU-V2 without any problem. For thumbnails in windows explorer and viewing NEF files in WIN photo gallery(64bit version) I downloaded a third party RAW codec which works perfect.
The WOW I mentioned is partly because of that particular RAW codec for Vista64 bit, I can view NEF files in Windows Photo Gallery at a speed which is @ least 2-3 times faster as what I could do with the original Nikon codec for win 32bit in the WPG32bit version...
I guess underwhile that the latest PC I purchased is basically a system that's "tailored" for Vista64bit, not for Win XP...
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
aclphoto
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Re: Underwhile Vista 64bit and... WOW //Re: Umm, this makes no s

Post by aclphoto »

StanyB wrote:
DavidLake wrote:I have owned a small IT company for 15 years and have as much PC knowledge as anyone you will meet, and I have trouble understanding this. If you have a lousy video card in the new system (doubt it), this could cause some issue. If you have older drivers or BIOS this could cause some issue. Also, some hard drives will have faulty (or failing) components that can cause them to perform inordinately slowly. I recommend getting some benchmark software to test both machines. This should lead you to the culprit. Search the web, there are tons of free ones. Make sure to test: CPU operations, hard drive read/write, memory bandwidth/speed, video speed. You will likely find a deficiency in there somewhere. If not, check to make sure you have turned off and uninstalled all (this means everything) AV & anti-spyware apps - Spysweeper is a known trouble maker on certain computers for no reason. We had to discontinue recommending it. The new system should be ~100% faster (more in some applications). Let mw know...

Hi David,
I have quite a bit of PC experience, user since first windows after having programmed basic on my Tandy 2000 25 years ago, currently using -(all of diff PC's)- win98(on a computer that controls a machine), win 2000, win XPpro and now, and very recently Win Vista 64bit after being unimpressed about Vista 32 bit. I assemble my PC's and configurate my OS's since I started using PC, I also install and upgrade PC's for a couple of friends...
My findings about Vista64 are "WOW" ..., just fantastic after approx 2 months of use. With Vista 64bit I have a very remarkable speed increase on about everything, very probably also partly because I can now use 4Gb of RAM or more, I also use 32Gb ready boost USB stick which seems to help in some applications. The stability is close to perfect and about compatibility there is no problem, I also installed the Fuji HU-V2 without any problem. For thumbnails in windows explorer and viewing NEF files in WIN photo gallery(64bit version) I downloaded a third party RAW codec which works perfect.
The WOW I mentioned is partly because of that particular RAW codec for Vista64 bit, I can view NEF files in Windows Photo Gallery at a speed which is @ least 2-3 times faster as what I could do with the original Nikon codec for win 32bit in the WPG32bit version...
I guess underwhile that the latest PC I purchased is basically a system that's "tailored" for Vista64bit, not for Win XP...

Stany... I too went to Vista 64bit... I run a quad core 2.4 gig processor and 4 gigs of the highest speed RAM I could get & after attaching about 2.5 TB of hard drives and more that a dozen programs... it flies like a jet with a massive tail wind. I just don't understand peoples issues with vista... It is totally awesome as far as I'm concerned...
Judson Crossland
Member NPS
ACL Photo
www.aclphoto.com

Don't Fear the space between your reality and your dreams... if you can dream it... you can live it!
antoinerose
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Buy a Mac

Post by antoinerose »

I hated mac's until I bought one.
I'm really impressed by my MacBookpro 2,4 with 4 Gib of Ram.
No hassle, no need to hesitate between 32, 64 bits, XP, Vista business, home, home premium, business or whatever they call it. Just one OS & it's working fine.
For heavy work I went the XP PRO x64 bits (I purchased it just before I bought the MAC) XP 64 is running on a quad 2,4 with 8 Gig & raptors. Working nice but honestly, I prefer the simplicity of Mac. You need to get used to the OS & it's not perfect but once you are used to it, it's just great.
For serious editing work, I would recommend a good monitor because the Macbook screen can't be trusted, even calibrated.
Buy a bunch of NEC 2690Wuxi, you won't be disappointed.
Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

After 4 months Windows Vista64 bit...

Post by Stany Buyle »

..never been happier.
Great OS. Thanks Microsoft.
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe