Thanks and have a question.

Articles, tips and trick by- and questions to Steve Bingham, Leen Koper, Pamela Meier and more...
Tutorials, links to tutorials. Nikon school.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Vincent De Vos
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Thanks and have a question.

Post by Vincent De Vos »

Dear Mr. Bingham,

Thanks for your cooperation on this site.

I have a question, maybe a stupid question ...

I wonder if there are visible gains in detail and sharpness if you have a photo taken with a 6 megapixel camera and you would first increase to 12 or 24 Mp (in photoshop) and then print in A3 size.
Thanks in advance,
Sincerely,
Vincent
Passioned by beautiful pictures, not a very active photographer though...
Regards,
Vincent

PS I use google translate a lot to write better English. So, if mistake, I's google, not me. ;)
Steve Bingham
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: Thanks and have a question.

Post by Steve Bingham »

Hi Vincent. I am not sure I understans your question, but let me try. If you shoot an image with a 6mp camera and then want to print in Super A3 it is very possible. I did it all the time with my Fuji S2. Your 6 mb size will generally produce an image (with my Fuji S2) of 2848 x 4256 pixels. This native resolution will only produse a 30 x 45 cm print at 240 dpi. However, using resampling in Photoshop you can go quite larger. If you have your own printer - Epson for example - this works quite well. I use a resolution of 240 as all amateur Epson prints (and most pro models) do very well with this. As Super A3 is 33.0 x 48.3 cm You are a little short. Now you have TWO different ways to go. If you change the printer setting to 180 dpi you can now print at 60 x 40 cm. The printer will then extrapolate to it's native resolution of 360 and produce an excellent image. The second method is to leave the printer resolution at 240 dpi and set the exact size at 33 x 48 using bicubic resampling in PS. Now your computer is doing the work. Will you lose a slight bit of resolution? Of course, but this small resampling will produce excellent results.

Now if all this seems beyond your skill level, simply give the tiff file to a professional printing service. They will use software called a rip and basically do the same thing. You will love the results providing you STARTED with a sharp image. :D
Vincent De Vos
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: Thanks and have a question.

Post by Vincent De Vos »

Thank you.
Passioned by beautiful pictures, not a very active photographer though...
Regards,
Vincent

PS I use google translate a lot to write better English. So, if mistake, I's google, not me. ;)