The suggested value of a flash diffuser.

Articles, tips and trick by- and questions to Steve Bingham, Leen Koper, Pamela Meier and more...
Tutorials, links to tutorials. Nikon school.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Leen Koper
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

The suggested value of a flash diffuser.

Post by Leen Koper »

There seems to be a lot of controversy about using various on camera flash attachments like the Gary Fong adapter, Lumedyne etc.
They all claim to soften the flash light etc. In my opinion they are all wrong, but that is just my opinion.

Lighting is softer if the source of light is relatively larger. I think we all agree. What would be the effect of an adapter, just a couple of square inches larger than your flashlight in the real world? Almost nothing (except in macro situations) if your subject is two or three meters away (most used distance) from your camera.
Reflected light from walls around? Just imagine, you lose about 2-3 stops because of reflection, you mostly use light that travels 3-4 times as far as in normal situations, so your total loss will be at least 4-6 stops! There is hardly any noticable reflection to fill for softer light.

In my opinion this is all just a way of selling useless gear, make you spend your hard earned cash on something that hardly helps.
DirkVermeirre

Re: The suggested value of a flash diffuser.

Post by DirkVermeirre »

Hello Leen,

It was a pleasure to read your vision on flash accessories and I totally agree with you. Flash accessories only might give some help on short to very short distances(macro).
I'm not an expert though while I never use flash even though I have some flash gear which I used in the past (only for test purposes). I don't like flash light, it never comes close to natural light, whatever someone might try.
All the best and greetings,
Dirk
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

Hi Dirk,

I am glad you agree with me.
I use flash only seldom, just when I am forced to because it is too dark and I have to come up with some images, and, sometimes as a fill light when a reflector cannot be used. Moreover, in the first case, there are that good high ISO cameras nowadays that you seldom need to use flash anymore and in the second case, a lot can be corrected in Lightroom.
DirkVermeirre

Post by DirkVermeirre »

Leen Koper wrote:Hi Dirk,

I am glad you agree with me.
I use flash only seldom, just when I am forced to because it is too dark and I have to come up with some images, and, sometimes as a fill light when a reflector cannot be used. Moreover, in the first case, there are that good high ISO cameras nowadays that you seldom need to use flash anymore and in the second case, a lot can be corrected in Lightroom.

Hi Leen,

With pleasure. I have a flash for the few times that I can't find enough light, but when it's not time related I prefer to come back when there's more available light. And the good high Iso camera's is so good, it's absolutely what I need because I like to photograph when there's not that much light but just enough. Hope to see you sooner or later (I prefer sooner) in real life, always a pleasure.
Dirk
James

Post by James »

HI Leen,

I know that you know the value of flash being a portrait photographer and all, but are you talking about specific adapters here? I am just curious!

I quite like the diffusers that Nikon supply with the flashes, sure you lose a lot of the lighting power of the flash, but I find it does help to soften the shadows (although multiple flashes off camera do a much better job :)

My most used accessory on my main lights is a 1.2m soft box - and you are right, there is no way that those kind of diffusers get any way to getting close to that but I had started to look at the Lastolite systems - have you had any experience of those?
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

I'm sorry to answer you so late, but it has escaped my attention.

The diffusers I mean are all diffusers, there is hardly any real difference; as the light comes from a small device, it will always be harsh. Just some added reflection from a wall or a ceiling might add a tiny bit extra softening, but that is all.
I dont have any experiences with the Lastolite; I own a 9 feet wide background (soon te be for sale, anyone?) that really is wonderful, the best I 've ever seen and some collapsable backgrounds and some Lastolite reflectors. I must say, they all do what they should do and that is not something you can say about any manufacturer.
jamesmilner
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by jamesmilner »

Hi there
This information seems good. Thanks for sharing.
Also I'd like to provide you information about Adobe PS express editor. Nowadays it's especially actual.
http://fixthephoto.com/photoshop-express-editor.html
Cheers