Sharpness and pixel count

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Leen Koper
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Sharpness and pixel count

Post by Leen Koper »

In another topic Stany said:
"High pixel density requires more steady hand/better shooting technique and more often tripod as only solution. "

I wonder if this is true. A higher number of pixels shows more when you look at 100%, but will be the same when it comes to output, the final goal of photography. Only 'pixel peepers' will notice the difference. When it comes to printing or web use, the result will -in my opinion- be the same with a lesser technique. So, it doesnot depend on the camera.

Or am I wrong?
Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: Sharpness and pixel count

Post by Stany Buyle »

Hi Leen,
Chasseur d'Images published a complete article about this some months ago. The more pixels you have, the more difficult it gets to use the full potential of a sensor, especially handheld. With so-so handheld shooting technique, the difference between a 12Mp camera and a 24Mp camera will be barely visible whereas the difference will be clear with tripod, good handholding technique or fast shutter speed. Compare a ray of light with a dart. The smaller the bull's eye will become the more difficult it will be to throw into it. Same happens with pixels and the hit or miss of the photons. If you want to hit the photons on the right pixel to get more information than "somewhere" on a pixel where could have been one bigger pixel, the advantage of more pixels will disappear.
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe