Need advice on tripods and lights

Moderator: Stany Buyle

BrianSmith
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Need advice on tripods and lights

Post by BrianSmith »

I have several tripods but I have just bought a very reasonably priced 1.2 m light cube with the intention of doing a bit of product photography for Ebay. I've also managed to get hold of a used macro stage so that I can have a go at a bit of focus stacking. Thing is, I now need a table top tripod but it needs to be strong enough to hold a D2X with Tamron 90mm macro. Most of the ones I have looked at seem a bit flimsy, can anyone recommend one that will not break my piggy bank?

I'm also going to need some lighting. I guess there is no need for flash here so I also need recommendations for low cost lights for the cube. How many do I need do you think?
It's all quite exciting and I don't even need to leave home :D
pam.meier

Re: Need advice on tripods and lights

Post by pam.meier »

Hi Brian,

regular desk lamps will do. A friend of mine uses a cheapo video tripod made of plastics for 30 euros for her web shop images:
http://www.soaparella.de/

I helped her set up the camera to M and use a long shutter speed and manual white balance. The images come out nicely.
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

It can be done even easier.
About the lights: I completely agree with Pamela, just cheap lamps will do, but for the exposure: I would set it to "A" and set the colour balance to tungsten. Only minor corrections should have to be applied.
BrianSmith
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by BrianSmith »

Thanks Pam and Leen. Pam, I looked at that website and started to drool until I realised they were soap! That's serious teasing for a diabetic.

I'll have a look around for suitable halogen desk lamps as I think they will be the easiest to correct. I have a Solux fitting that I use for viewing prints but the cost of it was ridiculous and I don't think I shall be buying more of them!

It's a shame, I have a lovely, sturdy little tripod that came with a laser level but it has a huge screw fitting on the top and I don't know of any adaptor that I could use to put a head on it.
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

Hi Brian. There are adapter screws indeed. At least Hama (in Germany) did make one.