It is the weight .....

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Leen Koper
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

It is the weight .....

Post by Leen Koper »

It is the weight that is killing me.
I used to be a fan of relatively heavy cameras -the heavier the camera, the less camera shake- but I have a little different opinion now. It still is true, the matter of weight versus camera shake, but since a few hikes I have changed my mind. The last one even was without camera, something that would have been impossible a few years ago.
Now I am getting older, I am 65 years old now, I have to make a decision. Either go on using my Nikons and use them for just only short trips or I will buy myself into a new lighter camera system and to take with me on my hikes. I might have chosen an all in one, a super zoom compact, but my experience with something like that has been disappointing; the image quality has not been what I am used to.
So the choice is between a micro 4/3, Olympus or Panasonic, a Sony NEX system or a Fuji. Samsung is too young at the market, I don't think Canon will support their mirrorless system for a long time as the losses of the system have been gigantic, Nikon 1 is too tiny imho and the Ricoh doesn't appeal to me at all.

At this moment the Panasonic G6 and the GX7 look very appealing, especially with a 14-42 and 45-150 lens, given the favourable prices at the moment. A combination of these lenses would fit in a very small bag, a bag I can only dream of at the moment.
I want to sell my Nikon equipment for at least the same amount, which would not be a too big problem.

Still thinking....
Stany Buyle

Re: It is the weight .....

Post by Stany Buyle »

Knowing a little bit your preferences, -If I was you-, I would go for the new Fuji system. No compromise in IQ, outstanding jpegs, outstanding overall IQ, apparently better than what S5pro delivered. AF is the weaker point of Fuji X-pro, but in the hands of a capable professional as you are, fast AF isn't a very important thing.
According to some pros, Fuji is still master of colours straight OOC and for skintones
Up to that, in another topic you mentioned being lurking to the Fuji pro system...

I have tried Panasonic and while it's great for movie, it's poor for classic photography because of weird WB and colours if you come from Nikon, Canon or Fuji.

Just my thoughts...
Kindest regards,
Stany
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

You are probably right. But, as I don't want a display as my viewfinder, I think the Fuji has a price tag that is too high for my liking. Moreover, the Panasonic G7 has an extremely nice price tag to it: combined with 14-42 and a 45-150 it is only 750 euro at the moment. If I wanted to buy something similar in Fuji it would make my purse at least 2000 euros lighter. And that is an extremely nice proposition from Panasonic. Moreover, within a few weeks there will be a new GX7 that looks even more promising with its viewfinder. And I definitely need two cameras.....
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

Many buyers of the Fuji Xpro system sell it shortly after first use because it's too slow for their liking.
TMHO Fuji is and has always been a camera for an experienced photographer.
With this (apparently very) regular wrong purchases you often get "nearly new Fuji Xpro" systems for a bargain price. Here is one of them.
I believe you will regret the move from Fuji and Nikon to Panasonic.

Kindest regards,
Stany
Stany Buyle

Leen, don't sell your Nikon glass...

Post by Stany Buyle »

An interesting article on NikonRumours: Metabones Speed Booster Nikon G lens to Fuji X-mount camera adapter

Probably you should not sell your Nikon glass to go light... ;)
And gaining a stop of light with an adaptor is "strange" to say at least... :o
Light - light ... :D

Kindest regards,
Stany
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

Yes, but giving away autofocus.
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

I took the plunge.

I went on holidays and bought me a Panasonic G7 and 14-42 and 45-140 lens.
And, despite Stany's advice, I am not disappointed at all. But remember, his experience was made with an early model and this is one of the latest.
At the moment I am rather busy with finishing a wedding album and removing a lot of stuff from my studio to my home, but as soon as I have more spare time I will tell you more about my experience with this camera.