Jeff Morris has a suggestion for you regarding Macro's.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

JeffMorris
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Jeff Morris has a suggestion for you regarding Macro's.

Post by JeffMorris »

Hello Stany,

I was reading your insight into the comparisons of the D700 vs. the Canon 5D mkII. I noted your use of the Canon 180mm Macro lens. Unfortunately I have no hands on experience with this lens. Sadly, I sold off my D30 and D60 with 4 "L" lenses years ago when I moved to Nikon, I never regretted that move. I do understand the need for a 24-1xx mid priced high quality lens. However in your examination of Canons 24-120? you noted it's excellent performance and value on your 5D and lack of superior performance on the MKII. Well as you have figured out, the Canon lens is a mid grade optic, good but not great.

I would like to bring to your attention, my favorite lens of all times in 43 years of taking serious photos. That is my 70-180mm Micro Nikkor. I realize that it is not the fastest or sharpest Micro Nikkor, however it is the most fun. And the fact that the lens speed does not decrease as you do ultra closeups is a real plus. I use it with a 6T and or a 5T diopter with SUPERB results or just by itself. Most who own this lens, love it as I do.

If you are not familiar with this wonderful lens, I suggest you read as much as you can on it. I bought one of the last new copies in the U.S. about four years ago for around $1,100.00 USD. If you ever come across one, I suggest that you try it out, just for fun.

Warm Regards,

Jeff Morris