Macro lenses with slow AF are simply outdated...

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Macro lenses with slow AF are simply outdated...

Post by Stany Buyle »

I read sometimes people pretending AF plays no role for macro shooting. For static subjects I agree on this (and for static macro shooting manual focusing on tripod is of course better), but taking all macro applications in consideration a fast autofocusing macro lens simply increases the photographic opportunities significantly.

In relation to the title of this topic "Macro lenses with slow AF are simply outdated...", fast autofocusing lenses can be used in manual AF when the circumstances or need are there for, manual lenses though cannot be used for some macro applications like fast moving little creatures or relative fast moving flying insects...

Macro shooting mostly needs small aperture(for DOF) and fast shutter speed(for moving subject' -freezing), so a flash or a high iso capable camera is required. For moving subjects like insects in flight though you need all three fast AF, small aperture and flash to capture a decent picture. Out of a lucky shot capturing fast moving little creatures @ big magnifications it is impossible without fast AF with exception of an electronical device setup with sensors like a guy from Holland is doing(didn't find the link back while writing this topic)...

TMHO, macro lenses with slow or no AF, are simply outdated for applications and pictures like this...

and this..

and this...

and this....

and this.....

and this, a ladybird taking off...

and even this, a spider moving its prey home, it's simply moving too fast to capture without AF or with a slow autofocusing lens..
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Geoff_Roughton
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: Macro lenses with slow AF are simply outdated...

Post by Geoff_Roughton »

Stany totally agree....nice shots by the way....for me fast accurate AF has always been a deal breaker. I finally jumped to Nikon because of the AF issues with the 1dmk3 with the D700 with grip giving me a major upgrade over the 1dmk2's I'd always used. I'm still a bit concerned that Nikon dont have the same coverage in FF lenses that Canon have but the 28-105mm as a walk around lens and the 24-70mm as my main sports lens have both worked very well for me.

I'm sure the 1dmk4 will be very good but already I have read that the resolution advantage it has over the D3s has been eroded by NR applied in camera and the D3s having higher resolution at iso's above 3200 due to better noise control despite its lower pixel count....so I dont see me changing camps again anytime soon...
Best
Geoff
"always look on the bright side of life...."
www.gandsphotography.co.uk
gorji
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: Macro lenses with slow AF are simply outdated...

Post by gorji »

I agree with your assessment. And congratulations on your stunning pictures.
I sold some of my old glass for the new fast focusing nikkors and could not be happier.
Visit my gallery http://galleries.gorji.com
I'm working on improving my technique.