D800 vs D800e: -Challenge- Can you see the difference?

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

D800 vs D800e: -Challenge- Can you see the difference?

Post by Stany Buyle »

CHALLENGE: Nikon D800 vs Nikon D800e... Can YOU see the difference?

From the moment I knew about their existence I was very curious how much difference in resolution and native sharpness there really is between both cams and rather than to rely on possibly wrong information on the internet I wanted to test myself...
Received my D800 on March 22nd and my D800e the day before yesterday. I purchased both cameras at Art & Craft in Ghent (B) http://www.artencraft.be

Yesterday I was doing some extensive testing...

The test scene:

- Contrast detection AF though live view AF

- Self timer set at 20 sec

- Picture control set "Neutral" (2, 0, 0, 0)

Challenge: Can you see the difference?
D800 and D800e with 105AF-S

On tripod, VR of the 105 AF-S was set to "off".

- The underneath crops come from an image taken at iso 100, M(anual) mode, 4sec and F9.

- Results viewed, converted, cropped and resized exclusive in Nikon Capture NX2 and Nikon view.

The underneath pictures are 100% crops of both cams, cropped from the full size jpeg

Each camera has all pictures on the same side (left/right)

crop 1
Image Image

crop 2
Image Image

crop 3
Image Image

crop 4
Image Image

crop 5
Image Image

Which pictures come from which camera???

Thanks for your attention and kindest regards,
Stany

D800 vs D800e: Related topics...
On this website:
:arrow: D800 vs D800e: Reason for price difference, my thoughts...

On other websites:
:arrow: http://diglloyd.com/index.html
:arrow: On Dpreview : http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=41346558
:arrow: On Nikoncafe: http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=333949

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
:!: :idea: :?: If you have questions, thoughts, your own findings, critiques or remarks related to this or other topics on this forum: Join this forum starting by your registration now!! Everybody is welcome. :D Read about how to make a registration here.
Sincerely yours,
Rita B, site owner.
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Stany Buyle

Is there a moiré issue with D800E?

Post by Stany Buyle »

Another unknown about D800 vs D800E was if there is really a moiré issue with D800E...
After having taken thousands of pictures over many years with different cameras(many Nikons, Canon5D and Fujis) at billiard tournaments and on my billiard table I saw that the billiard cloth is sometimes exhibiting some moire, with "normal cameras".
So after reading so much articles on this probable issue I also did some testing.

I tried to create a scene where moire might become a problem:

The above picture is taken with my 50mm AF-S F1.4 at F11 with my D800E.
I did the same shot at F1.4, F1.8, F2.8, F4, F5.6, F8 and F9...
After that I did the same test ,-with both cams- with the PUFlash...

But I after close examination at 100% I could not find any moiré issue yet...
:D
janmasyn
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Re: D800 vs D800e: Can you see the difference?

Post by janmasyn »

D800E left and D800 right
The differences are very subtle

Kind regards,
jan masyn
GregoryS
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by GregoryS »

Hey, Stany,

Thanks for the test shots.

I'm going to say D800E on the left and on the top shots. But not very much of a difference. Many have speculated however that in order to realize the full potential of the D800E, shots must be done in RAW. As I understand it, you shot in JPEG.

When you're done with testing, send me any camera you don't decide to keep! :D

Gregory
daveg
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by daveg »

The left hand shots look "sharper" than the right hand shots.

P.S. When are you going to fix the Auto Login?

DG
ToddHargis
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by ToddHargis »

Interesting, I have the D800E on order, still waiting. I think the best way to test these two cameras is to shoot a landscape shot where tree branches in the distance are far off and then check sharpness and resolution. The subjects you shot are too close and it will be hard to tell the difference between the two. Try a shot similar to the test shots seen on Nikon's website where 100% crops of distant trees can be compared. Glad you got your d800e, I hope I get mine soon.

Todd
Todd Hargis Photography

http://www.toddhargisphotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James

Post by James »

I think that the left has a lot more detail - EXCEPT on the postage stamp.

So, assuming that the processing is the same I am going with left as the D800E or there being a slight focus difference.
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

I´m waiting for my D800 to arrive on Monday (hopefully, as Tuesday is a holiday in Germany).
I had my D3´s AA filter replaced with normal glas and I must say that the difference is so subtle, I didn´t notice any gain in resolution in real-world testing. It was a rather expensive and painful experience as I had to do without my camera for a few weeks and the results didn´t convince either.

When the D800E was announced I was excited and interested at first. But quickly comparison images between the two camera versions appeared and I realised, it was not worth it. So it was clear to me that I would get the cheaper and easier to get D800. 36 Mpix has great cropping and downsampling leeway and I will still get better files as from my A900 which I have sold.

Stany´s crops confirm my own findings. There seemingly is more resolution in the crops on the left, but these won´t show in print or when viewed at normal distances.
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

Sometimes I think the D800E is the one on the left, sometimes the one on the right. So: I cannot clearly see the difference between the two....
ReneJanssen-BE

Post by ReneJanssen-BE »

Good Morning Stany,

It seems to be always the left crop has more resolution so I think it will be the Nikon D800E.
But being honest I must say that the difference is very subtle.
I agree with Pam that I personally was very exited too to have a Nikon D800E as new gear on my foto-shoots,
but reading different info's on the net and see some comparison images in the last two weeks, I think the extra investment on a D800E is not worth it.
Now at the moment I would decide, on the info I have now, to buy a D800 instead.

Stany thanks again for your great work and I know it was a hell of a job to get the D800E right on time !!

Pam, schönes langes Wochen ende !!!!`

I´m waiting for my D800 to arrive on Monday (hopefully, as Tuesday is a holiday in Germany).
I had my D3´s AA filter replaced with normal glas and I must say that the difference is so subtle, I didn´t notice any gain in resolution in real-world testing. It was a rather expensive and painful experience as I had to do without my camera for a few weeks and the results didn´t convince either.

When the D800E was announced I was excited and interested at first. But quickly comparison images between the two camera versions appeared and I realised, it was not worth it. So it was clear to me that I would get the cheaper and easier to get D800. 36 Mpix has great cropping and downsampling leeway and I will still get better files as from my A900 which I have sold.

Stany´s crops confirm my own findings. There seemingly is more resolution in the crops on the left, but these won´t show in print or when viewed at normal distances.
ADeVos
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by ADeVos »

I see differences(The left ones seem sharper) in crop 1 and 3 in the first serie and in the two at 6400iso
Greetings from Belgium
Andre
Stany Buyle

Result first test: D800e vs D800 with 105 AF-S at F9

Post by Stany Buyle »

Thanks to those who reacted on this topic.

All crops at left side are from D800e, crops from D800 are on the right side.

Approx 85% of the reactions of different photography websites were correct, so the difference seems -even though subtle- noticable, even at F9 as this first test was done.

More test shots later this week with other lenses and at other apertures.

Thanks for your attention and kindest regards.
Stany Buyle

http://www.nikonuser.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Bingham

Post by Steve Bingham »

Hi Stany! Looks like we have both been busy!

You might want to try an experiment. Shoot a detailed scene in raw with each and see if you can come close to equalling the two by use of judicious sharpening. I have seen this done and the results were extremely close. I originally ordered the D800E but I needed a camera sooner - settled on the D800.
Vincent De Vos
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: Result first test: D800e vs D800 with 105 AF-S at F9

Post by Vincent De Vos »

StanyB wrote:More test shots later this week with other lenses and at other apertures.
Stany Buyle
http://www.nikonuser.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can't find the complementary test pictures... :(
Passioned by beautiful pictures, not a very active photographer though...
Regards,
Vincent

PS I use google translate a lot to write better English. So, if mistake, I's google, not me. ;)
DiederikVP
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: D800 vs D800e: -Challenge- Can you see the difference?

Post by DiederikVP »

When this topic was published you wrote that more test results would come at wider apertures and with different lenses.
I cannot find this update...
Thanks
Diederik
Stany Buyle

Re: D800 vs D800e: -Challenge- Can you see the difference?

Post by Stany Buyle »

DiederikVP wrote:When this topic was published you wrote that more test results would come at wider apertures and with different lenses.
I cannot find this update...
Thanks
Diederik
Too busy with making billiard cues... :oops:
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
ritaB

Qualified for 2012' best topic vote

Post by ritaB »

Qualified for 2012' best topic vote

Sincerely,
RitaB