Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR review

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR review

Post by Stany Buyle »

Topic directory: Introduction

Bought my Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm this morning. Expectations are high... :?
At this moment I have also the Sigma 150-600 "C" and the Tamron 150-600 to my disposal.
I was trying the Sigma 150-600 "S" a couple of weeks ago. Fantastic lens but too heavy to my taste, at that moment.... Weight difference between the Nikon and the Sigma "S" is "only" 560 gram.

First impressions after approx 100 pictures on my D750:
  • Very solid, well built lens. I did not expect that in relation to it's price setting.
  • 2,3 kg is just around the limit of what I consider as comfortable to carry around. :D If weight would not have been a factor in my choice, I would have gone for the Sigma 150-600 "S"
  • Amazing sharpness at near to closest focus distance(makes my tamron 150-600 look poor, sharper than my 80-400 AF-S VR at 400mm)
  • Great image stabilisation
  • A bit disappointing AF speed. Not really fast, but significantly faster when using the 6meter- setting, but still slow compared to a 70-200 AF-S
  • F5.6 at 500mm is a significant improvement over my tamron 150-600 which is F6 from 330mm and F6.3 from 450mm.
  • The lens is very sharp from F5.6.

Going to try to find some birds now...

Updated with this picture, taken with my 200-500 AF-S VR on Sep 25th.

Images will follow later this weekend.

Kindest regards,
Stany

:arrow: related topic: Sigma 150-600 HSM OS S, first impressions

:idea: Support www nikonuser.info and forum with a donation...
Stany Buyle

Technically...

Post by Stany Buyle »

• This Nikon looks and feels very solid, a feeling I did not expect for a lens with this attractive pricing.
  • The nikon 200-500 mm is a bigger and heavier lens than both tamron and sigma "c" 150-600mm lenses. The Nikon is approx 2400 grams (including tripod collar & suncap), the Tamron 2050, the Sigma C 1950.
  • It has an excellent, sturdy tripod collar which also feels very comfortable when carrying this lens upside down.
  • The VR (which works outstanding) has three settings over 2 buttons: normal, sports and off.
  • AF performance is not very fast like the 70-200 AF-S VRII but it's acceptable fast in full focal setting, and significantly faster in the 6m- setting.
Everything you want to know more on the technical side of this great glass can be found here and on the Nikon website of your location and language.

To understand the technical abbreviations better :arrow: NIKKOR Lens Glossary
Stany Buyle

First images near to the closest focus distance on D750

Post by Stany Buyle »

As a macro shooter I like to test these kind of lenses also at closest focusing distance and although closest focusing distance is 2.2 meter the result is excellent!
At closest focus distance, the Nikon 200-500 is soooo much better than both tamron 150-600 and sigma 150-600 :o

:!: All underneath images have been taken handheld.

:!: Please notice that these images have zero post processing with exception of the © mark.
No sharpening, no contrast increase, nothing.

and a 100% crop of the focus area:

Stany Buyle

First images near to the closest focus distanceon D7200

Post by Stany Buyle »

:!: Please notice that these images have zero post processing with exception of the © mark.

:!: All underneath images have been taken handheld.

:idea: You can support www nikonuser.info and forum with a donation...
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
:!: :idea: :?: If you have questions, thoughts, your own findings, critiques or remarks related to this or other topics on this forum: Join this forum starting by your registration now!! Everybody is welcome. :D Read about how to make a registration here.
Sincerely.
posted by admin
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Stany Buyle

BIF with Nikon 200-500 AF-S VR

Post by Stany Buyle »

One of the main reasons several people will buy this lens is to capture birds in flight (BIF)

Tried a couple this afternoon on my D7200 and it works very well. AF can follow even when it's going rather fast.

Stany Buyle

VR findings with the nikon 200-500 AF-S VR

Post by Stany Buyle »

VR test

From the first pictures I took I had the feeling that the VR of this lens is just amazing.

To test the VR I did an extreme experiment:
Even though AF doesn't function anymore with the 2 x TCe -yes, it tries but it's not useable- I took some picture HANDHELD at 1000mm and a shutter speed as slow as 1/6 sec indoors and 1/15 sec outdoors

Indoors under artificial light at 1000mm on D750 at 1/6 sec, handheld:

Full exif:

Outdoors under early morning light at 1000mm on D750 at 1/15 sec , handheld:

Full exif:

samples images where VR is important:

The VR of this lens is magic. Underneath a picture of the moon, HANDHELD at 500 mm on D7200 (750mm)

click on the image to download the full size jpeg
exif of the above image:
Stany Buyle

AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR with TCs

Post by Stany Buyle »

TC test
  • Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm VR ED with 1.4 x TCIIIe
    I'm sure that the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR works very well with the latest version 1.4x TCeIII, but I don't own that TC right now. I have the latest sigma version and this works so-so...
    On behalf of this lens I will buy a nikon 1.4TC III and publish test results later.
  • Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm VR ED with 2x TCIIIe
    correction after further testing: TMHO the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR is not useable with the 2xTCeIII. On shorter distance it seems OK, but with the subject at further distance, IQ is unacceptable.

With the subject at long distance, on tripod, LV and exposure delay, this was the best result I could capture... :( :?
    This might be partly the result that I am not good in manual focusing... :?
    Anyhow, unacceptable to my taste...
Stany Buyle

More images with AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR

Post by Stany Buyle »

More images will be published this week.

Thanks for visiting and kindest regards,

Stany
http://www.nikonuser.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:!: :idea: :?: If you have questions, thoughts, your own findings, critiques or remarks related to this or other topics on this forum: Join this forum starting by your registration now!! Everybody is welcome. :D Read about how to make a registration here.
Sincerely.
posted by admin
Leen Koper

Re: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR user review

Post by Leen Koper »

Congratulations on your latest acquisition! I hope it will serve you as you expected.
There was a time when I would consider buying it myself but its weight would make me think twice nowadays. But as far as I can see the images are what you expected.
Stany Buyle

BIF tracking with Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR

Post by Stany Buyle »

BIF tracking with Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR

This afternoon I was testing the 200-500 on my D750 for tracking of BIF.
On a blue sky the % of pictures in focus is very high. With some attention and preparartion work I get easily 80% or even more.

In much more tricky AF circumstances with a disturbing background at relative close distance behind the bird the 200-500 is doing also surprisingly well.

Some samples:
:!: :!: :!: Please notice that the underneath samples are straight out of the camera, without any modification about sharpness, contrast, WB, picture style or whatever

click on the image to download the full resolution jpeg.

and a 100% crop of the focus area of the above picture:

:idea: :!: :arrow: With 3 clicks of post processing in Nikon Capture NX2 you get this:

:idea: :!: :arrow: With 3 clicks of post processing in Nikon Capture NX2 the above image looks like this:

The latest picture is the most interesting of the 5 because the bird was:
  • relative far away, flying rather fast
  • :!: ... and close to the (back-)ground.
    Still the 200-500 seemed to keep tracking the bird effortless. Kudos to Nikon.

:idea: :!: :arrow: Again with 3 clicks of post processing in Nikon Capture NX2 the above image looks like this:

Sincerely.
posted by admin
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
ADeVos
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by ADeVos »

Good review,nice images.
Greetings from Belgium
Andre
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

Some images from today with D750 and 200-500 AF-S VR

:!: Please notice that the underneath samples are without any post processing which improves sharpness, contrast, WB, picture style or whatever

An image at 500mm and wide open (F5.6), taken handhold

Click on the image to download the full size jpeg

and a 100% crop of the AF area:

An image at quite long distance of the intended subject, taken handhold:

and this is what a 100% crop of the above image gives.

And two birds in flight...

Stany Buyle

Close up with 200-500AF-S VR F5.6

Post by Stany Buyle »

:!: related topic :arrow: Dragonflies with nikon 200-500 on D500

In another review I read that "it's only made for long distance while it doesn't focus close and while F5.6 is too slow". I respectfully disagree with that.
The combination of great sharpness wide open (F5.6) and incredible vibration reduction makes it very useable for close ups...

Underneath a picture taken handheld at F5.6(*), iso 3200, and 1/50 shutter speed.

and a 100% crop of the original image:

(*) To ensure you that it's taken handheld I also posted the full exif, where you can see that VR was on, and VR doesn't work on tripod.

:idea: If you like this topic, and you appreciate the time we did spend to back up with pictures and information...
then you can support this website
with a donation...

update after http :arrow: https
Stany Buyle

Shooting wide open (F5.6) with the 200-500 AF-S VR

Post by Stany Buyle »

Top lenses are considered to be sharp already from their widest aperture. This gives an advantage in shutter speed, iso setting combined with noise levels and subject isolation against the background (DOF). According to some people, price wise the 200-500 F5.6 AF-S cannot be a top lens, but several times I found out that this bias does not always fit with reality...

In relation to that I got a couple of requests to document with images how sharp the 200-500 AF-S is at F5.6....

While some images -straight out of the camera with exception of adding ©- mean thousand times more than words, I selected 10 images shot at F5.6.

For direct viewing on this forum and saving bandwidth in the same time I posted a 1000px largest size image .
Under each image I posted a 100% crop and you can see the full exif and a thumbnail size image of the AF point as you see in Nikon Capture NX-i.

ImageImageImage

And a 100% crop of the above image:

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImageImage

And last but not least, NEVER a detailed review without a picture of my little ( :lol: ) darling ;) :

ImageImageImage

Sincerely.
posted by admin
Stany Buyle

Nikon 200-500 AF-S VR F5.6: How about CA ?

Post by Stany Buyle »

Nikon 200-500 AF-S VR F5.6: How about CA ?

CA= Chromatic aberration

Normally CA and purple fringing of a lens is visible in magnifictions of images taken in contrasty scenes.
I did my best to find a reasonable sample:

and seen at 400% in Nikon Capture NX-i :

Stany Buyle

Nikon AF-S 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR for pics at long distance

Post by Stany Buyle »

Some long distance pictures with the 200-500 AF-S VR on D7200.
For pictures of subjects further than that, I use different gear... ;)

An image straight out of the camera, no post processing whatsoever.

Click on the image to download the full size jpeg
Stany Buyle

Nikon 200-500 AF-S VR compared to other lenses

Post by Stany Buyle »

Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

Catched a fish!

Post by Stany Buyle »

kindest regards,

Stany
GAshby
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by GAshby »

Nice review!

Warm regards,
George.
Stany Buyle

Kingfisher action captured with D500 & 200-500 VR

Post by Stany Buyle »

Stany Buyle

Nikon 200-500mm for VERY fast action

Post by Stany Buyle »

The 200-500 is even suited for VERY fast action while used on the amazing D500:

Very fast action, with upto that an extremely challenging AF situation (Sandhill background approx 1 meter behind the very fast flying swallow.).
Nikon D500 and nikon 200-500 AF-S VR

Click on the image to open the full size jpg.

related topic :arrow: Nikon D500 has an amazing AF system
kindest regards,

Stany
ritaB

You can support this website...

Post by ritaB »

If you like this topic, and you appreciate the time we did spend to back up with pictures and information...
with a donation...

Stany Buyle

Nikon 200-500mm VR setting on tripod

Post by Stany Buyle »

Stany Buyle

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm VR, one more sample

Post by Stany Buyle »

The nikon 200-500 has two caracteristics which turn it into an amazing lens: very sharp wide open and astonishing VR.
Another sample of the incredible VR, taken yesterday evening while getting dark, handheld at 500mm and 1/13 sec, :
The image comes straight from the memory card, no PP at all.

The exif

:arrow: Click on the image to open the full size jpg.
Stany Buyle

Dragonflies with nikon 200-500 on D500

Post by Stany Buyle »

I really LOVE this lens, after one year of use and now with a second copy after I exchanged my first one for a sigma 150-600 because of weight. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Both my first one and the new one are exceptionally sharp, and already from F5.6.
It's a 200 to500mm telezoom and normally not intended to do close up photography with, but I use it also for this very frequently.

A couple of days ago I went to the natural parc next to where I live and I found a quite large number of dragonflies, the first one I saw in this area this year.

Some pictures...

the above image is a crop from the Original.

And a 100% crop of the above picture...

And a 100% crop of the above.

Sitting dragonflies are an easy subject, while dragonflies in flight can be rather challenging to get a sharp one...

And a 100% crop

To assure next generation... :o

and a 100% crop of the above

Thanks for your attention and kindest regards,

Stany
http://www.nikonuser.info
-----------------
If you like this topic, and you appreciate the time we did spend to back up our conclusion with information and pictures ...
with a donation...

Kindest regards,
Rita and Stany Buyle - eSBee creations.
Stany Buyle

From this morning, a kestrel with D500 & 200-500

Post by Stany Buyle »

From today in PAarc, Gravelines.

Final images are heavily cropped from the originals. The scene to illustrate the cropping.

Stany Buyle

Re: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR review

Post by Stany Buyle »

Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

With 200-500 on D500, no post processing out of resizing.
Image taken handheld, iso 500, 1/400 sec and F7.1

A 100% crop from the original:
Stany Buyle

Nikon AF-S 200-500mmon D850...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Underneath image was captured with D850 & nikon 200-500 at F5.6, M mode, (auto)iso 500, 1/1000 sec. Image taken handheld with VR on. Cropped from the original. The Original crop is 2403px longest side.
I'm happy with this picture because I never captured a Kingfisher with a fish speared on its beak before during many years and hundreds of hours of Kingfisher observation and photography on different locations.
The image was totally unprepared while I was taking pictures of a heron sitting in the other direction. All of a sudden I heard a splash in the water behind my back and I saw my little friend with a relative big fish speared on its beak. There was barely enough time to aim and shoot before he flew in the foliage.
D850 did a good job by nailing AF fast and accurate. I love the D850 & 200-500 combo.

The only PP that has been done was adding +0.66 EV and shadow lifting with ADL in NCNX-D. A tad sharpening in NC and © in PS5. NO noise reduction applied.

The original didn't look promising though, while underexposed...

I think that if I would have captured this image with my D500, with the same underexposure, the outcome would have been worse or even unusable because of noise.

Thanks for looking and kindest regards,
Stany
http://www.nikonuser.info

More pictures with this combo :arrow: D850 with Nikon AF-S 200-500mm f/5.6 E ED VR
kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

close up with Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR on D5

Post by Stany Buyle »

With D500 and nikon 200-500 @ 500mm

A close up with this amazing lens

And a 100% crop:
kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

Nikon200-500mm for close up

Post by Stany Buyle »

Every time again I use my 200-500 for close up in nature I'm amazed by the amount of detail.

kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

Nikon Z7 is amazing with FTZ & 200-500 at close distance...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Among all lenses I tested on the Z7 with FTZ adapter, the 200-500 AF-S Vr impressed me the most.
It focuses and locks focus relative fast but it blew me away with images in the very close focus range, with an even significantly better VR performance than the extraordinary VR this lens natively already has.
Underneath 2 images taken HANDHELD, Manual mode, 1/1250 sec, F5.6 @ 500mm. Auto iso (iso 560 & iso 400)
The images haven't been sharpened in PP. Only converted from NEF in view NX-i with my preferred picture style for this kind of images.

and a crop of the above image, resized to 1000px longest side: (click on the image to get the 100% crop)

and a crop of the above image, resized to 1000px longest side: (click on the image to get the 100% crop)

Under while I'm working on a more complete Nikon Z7 hands on review...

Thanks for visiting my website and kindest regards,
Stany

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
related topic :arrow: [posting.php?mode=edit&f=117&p=9033&sid= ... 11281dd162]Nikon Z7 hands on review[/url]

related topic :arrow: The F mount adapter quality will be the key part…
related topic :arrow: Pre-order your Z6, Z7 with 24-70 F4 + FTZ adapter at A&C
kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

Dragonfly beauty queen with nikon 200-500

Post by Stany Buyle »

A beautiful big dragonfly captured yesterday with D850 & nikon 200-500.
The image was taken handheld.

ImageImage

Sharpness & detail did not disappoint... (100% crop)

kindest regards,

Stany
ritaB

You can support this website...

Post by ritaB »

If you appreciate all the time Stany puts into this non-commercial website..

:idea: If you like this topic, and you appreciate the time we did spend to back up with pictures and information...
with a donation...

Sincerely,
Rita.
jamesmilner
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by jamesmilner »

Good afternoon.
Thank you so much for very informative topic and good pictures. That was I looking for.
Best regards
James
DiederikVP
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by DiederikVP »

:idea: