Capture NX 2.2.4 Update - 64bit compatible Windows version

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Capture NX 2.2.4 Update - 64bit compatible Windows version

Post by Stany Buyle »

2009.12.16th: Nikon released the Capture NX 2.2.4 for Windows which is -finally- compatible with Windows 64bit versions...

From the Nikon UK website:
About this software
This software will update a previously installed full version of Capture NX v2.2.0 - v2.2.3 to v2.2.4. When using the software as an updater, it may be necessary to enter the product key again to confirm ownership of a previous version of the software.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes in this version
- Compatibility with 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows 7 Home Basic/Home Premium/Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate has been added. When run under 64-bit versions, the software operates as a 32-bit application.
- Compatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows Vista Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Enterprise/Ultimate (Service Pack 2) editions has been added. When run under 64-bit versions, the software operates as a 32-bit application.
- Specifications have been modified so that when 25 Photos on Page, or a higher number of photos per page, is selected for Select Layout in the Print layout dialog, the Use Thumbnail Data (Draft Use Only) box is automatically checked.
This resolves an issue that prevented printing when 25 Photos on Page, or a higher number of photos per page, was selected for Select Layout.
- An issue that caused an error message to be displayed and prevented printing when borderless settings were applied with some printers has been resolved.
- An issue that prevented accurate application of borderless print settings has been resolved.
- An issue that prevented specification of the same margin for left, right, top, and bottom margins in the Margins section of the Page Setup dialog has been resolved.
- An issue that caused a delay between clicking of the Print button and actual initiation of printing has been resolved.
- When an image was opened on some computers with AMD CPUs, Capture NX 2 quit unexpectedly. This issue has been resolved.
- An issue that caused an error message to be displayed during batch processing of a large number of files has been resolved.
- When a batch process was run with the Notify when completed box in the Processing Queue - Process Running dialog checked, a blank window was displayed. This issue has been resolved.
- When a batch process was run for multiple images with the same shooting date and time, the processed images were not saved with the correct file names. This issue has been resolved.
- An issue that caused batch processing to fail before completion when a batch process was run with certain settings has been resolved.
- An issue that caused an error message to be displayed when multiple enhancements were applied to images has been resolved.
- An issue that caused an error message to be displayed when attempting to open several images previously saved with Capture NX 2 has been resolved.
- When the Camera & Lens Corrections checkbox was checked (Develop section of Edit List), enhancements were not applied to an image opened in the image window and displayed at 100%, and the enhanced image could not be saved. This issue has been resolved.
- When image window display was maximized with Desktop selected for Window menu>Workspaces>Additional Screen for the primary monitor on a dual monitor system, the image window disappeared. This issue has been resolved.
- When the zoom tool was used to enlarge an image displayed with Full Screen or Presentation selected from the View menu, the portion of the image clicked with the zoom tool was not displayed at the center of the window. This issue has been resolved.
- An issue that prevented switching between “+” and “-“ operations when the ALT key was pressed while using the selection brush has been resolved.
- An issue that caused folders in the Capture NX 2 Folders palette to be displayed in a different order than with Windows Explorer display has been resolved.
- When the crop tool was used to select a crop and the ENTER key pressed to apply the crop, the cursor did not switch to a selection tool. This issue has been resolved.
- When a number was entered after a decimal point for some enhancement items with text boxes for entering numerical values in the Edit List, the values could not be changed. This issue has been resolved.
- When "-" (minus) was entered in the Exposure Compensation text box under Quick Fix in the Develop section of the Edit List, it was displayed in red and then “0” was displayed after a few seconds. This issue has been resolved.
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Stany Buyle

After first one hour testing...

Post by Stany Buyle »

...everything seems to work perfect.

I was opeing 10-15 NEF's @ once several times and doing this again after shutting down NX2 compeltely and start up again.
Furthermore I was doing some initial RAW modifications while meanwhile 10-15 more NEF's were open .

Hope it keeps working this way, and if so, it's fantastic software...
kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

What an incredible improvement...

Post by Stany Buyle »

What an incredible improvement this update does to my overall computer performance. With the former NX2 versions running on my Vista 64bit config, my PC was regularly running out of processing power when I opened other applications while working on multiple NEF files and since Win7 it sometimes crashed.
Now the overall processing speed of my PC while running CaptureNX2 2.2.4 next to several other applications the processor power use never goes over 75%...

I tested with following applications running together on an Intel Dual core 6750 with 4Gb RAM and Win7 64bit:
Photoshop
NX2 v2.2.4 with approx 15 NEF's open,
Microsoft word 2007
Windows IE8 with 8 windows open
Windows Photo Gallery
and the regular automatically opened software:

While doing that, the processor meter shows:

Before this upgrade, doing all this applications @ once, it was running to 100% and often crashing and/or blocking...
I was planning to buy a new, more powerfull PC next week but all of a sudden this doesn't seem necessary anymore...

I guess that the incompatibility with 64bit OS was the reason of the bad performance of my PC until now...

Thank you Nikon, once more...
kindest regards,

Stany