Canon RF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS USM-user review

About Canon cameras, lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures..

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Canon RF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS USM-user review

Post by Stany Buyle »

Yes !!!!!!

Got my RF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS USM today... :D

I hope tomorrow will be dragonfly weather...
:geek:
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Stany Buyle

Re: RF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS USM user review

Post by Stany Buyle »

Findings after approx 5 hours shooting:

Simply F A N T A S T I C !!!

For handheld macro shooting, this lens is a dream that became reality.
  • Extreme sharpness.
  • Blazing fast autofocus
  • Delivering high contrast with vibrant warm colors.

Here underneath a resized composition from 2773 x 1847px to 1250 x 833 px of the original scene and cropped area with exif info
& a crop.
The image is a little underexposed, but for a lens review I find it important to publish unedited, SOOC sample pictures.

Here underneath a 100% crop of the dragonfly eye, straight out of the camera, no sharpening or post-processing.

kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

RF 100/2.8 mm macro: AUTOFOCUS speed and accuracy

Post by Stany Buyle »

Autofocus speed & Autofocus accuracy:

As I wrote before, even more stunning than the great sharpness the RF 100 macro provides, is the focusing speed and accuracy. This is simply a revolution for handheld macro photography!

Taking into account that this is a macro lens (macro lenses normally don't have very fast AF), it has amazing fast autofocus which brings the "keepers rate" while shooting handheld macro to a very high percentage.

With this lens combined with R5/R6 or R3 it is much more easy than with classic macro lenses to capture insects in flight.

An image from yesterday, the scene and EXIF (please take into account the image has been taken @ iso 4000)

And the cropped area resized to 1000px longest side:
:idea: Underneath iamge is as it came SOOC, resized but without any sharpening or post-processing.

One more resized composition from 1682 x 1121px to 1250 x 833 px of the original scene and cropped area with exif info
:idea: Underneath iamge is as it came SOOC, resized but without any sharpening or post-processing.

Yesterday I was chasing for dragonfly-in-flight pictures with very limited success because they were nervous and at a relatively far distance and related to underneath pictures I had approx 30 consecutive frames which were all in focus.
Up to that, the background was very confusing and lightning wasn't perfect. With Nikon Z7 these kinds of shots were simply impossible for me, after numerous (thousands...) of trials.

I posted the best 2 of them sorted by the position of the insect. The images are extreme crops from the original.

The scene and cropped AF area:

and a 100% crop of the dragonfly:

The scene and cropped AF area:

and a 100% crop of the dragonfly:

Stany Buyle

RF 100/2.8 mm macro vs. EF 100/2.8 macro

Post by Stany Buyle »

RF 100/2.8 mm macro vs. EF 100/2.8 macro
  • The RF version delivers slightly sharper images, but that difference is barely noticeable. I have the impression contrast has improved, but that may be "just an impression".
  • MUCH faster focusing.As a matter of fact incredible fast focusing in the world of macro lenses. A reason on its own to change from the EF version to the RF version.
    I always loved my Nikon 105 AF-S VR because of its fast focusing which is "A MUST" for people like me who are doing 95% of handheld macro, but this RF 100 is in another speed league.
  • Very little hunting, my EF 100mm macro (latest version) was hunting a lot. The RF100 is sometimes hunting at a very close AF distance.
  • Closest focus distance 0,3 meter at 1:1 magnification vs the RF with closest focusing distance 0,26 cm and 1.4:1 magnification, the second or first reason to prefer the new version over the EF mount 100mm...
  • No EF tp RF adapter needed.
  • SA control,which might become very important for portraiture.
  • Weight. EF + adapter is 735 gramms, RF is 730 gramms, so no difference here...
  • Size: the EF + smallest AF-->RF adapter = 147mm, the RF is 148 mm on its own, so no difference here neither.

Stany Buyle

From yesterday: dragonfly' eyes with R5 & RF100mm macro

Post by Stany Buyle »

From yesterday, a marvelous dragonfly hiding for bad weather coming up ... Soon dragonfly season will end... :|

Taken handheld with R5 & RF 100mm macro. No sharpening or post-processing.
Picture resized to 1000px longest side.

Another picture taken a bit closer...

And a 100% crop

ritaB

Re: Canon RF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS USM-user review

Post by ritaB »

If you like this topic, and you appreciate the time we did spend to back up our conclusion with information and pictures ...
then you can support this website
with a donation...

Kindest regards,
Rita and Stany Buyle - eSBee creations.
Stany Buyle

Bees with EOS R5 & RF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS USM

Post by Stany Buyle »

The RF 100 F2.8 macro with its extremely fast focus and ultimate sharpness on the EOS R5 is the easiest way to capture bees in action.
All images have been captured HANDHELD.
All images are as they came out of the camera, converted from RAW with DPP4.2 and cropped.
NO additional post-processing or sharpening.
ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

and a 100%crop of the original image size:
kindest regards,

Stany