Moving paging file and make Capture NX2 faster...

Information about Nikon Capture NX: Users experiences, updates, tutorials, links, etc...

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Moving paging file and make Capture NX2 faster...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Moving paging file to a partition on another physical drive improved the overall performance of my PC very significant.
I was testing approx 12 hours before writing these findings. Conclusion: It makes my system MUCH faster.
The program I was hoping most for to improve about speed and stability was Nikon NX2, and it looks very good. Much faster and, -until now- no troubles.

What's 'moving the paging file' and why does it help speeding up the system:
When your operating system needs more RAM than there is actually available @ that moment, it is using virtual memory on your hard drive as RAM.
The standard settings in Windows Vista, Win 7 and XP for virtual memory are system managed about size and are placed on the C-drive. @ the moment there is a need for use of that supplementary (virtual) RAM memory, the C drive is busy as well with handling your OS, the programs you're working with AND the virtual memory on that same drive. Easy to understand that when you move that virtual memory to another physical drive on a separate partition, HD activities are split up between two drives and the whole action becomes faster.
With very memory intensive actions like PP multiple NEF files in Capture and next to that some other programs running there is more often than you might think unsufficient RAM, and while using 64 bit system even more while the variables are 64 bits long instead of 32 bits on a 32bit system . A very good article about memory and the influence on the PC performance while taking into consideration whether you use 32 or 64 bit OS you can find on Tom's hardware website.

How did I move the virtual memory:

I went to: System properties/ Advanced/ Performance settings/advanced/Virtual memory/ I clicked "change"...
I did put the virtual memory on my C drive on "none" and I directed paging file to a separate partition(specially for virtual memory) on a separate physical drive. I was choosing 6142Mb as it was "recommended by the system". I was setting minimum and maximum to the same value in order to prohibit that paging file can change in volume and get fragmented because of that...

That's it, and it works very well, for me.

You can find insteresting notes about this on the website of Menno Schoone, a Dutch computer expert I often ask advice to. He released already multiple books about the use and optimizing of OS's but I don't know if he published them in English as well... He has a English website though with tons of information as well...
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

NX2 operating speed in seconds after pagefile move...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Opening CaptureNX2: 3 seconds
Opening 20 unprocessed 24Mb-NEF files @ once: 42 seconds
(14bit NEF files)

And NO crashings anymore...

This is MUCH faster than before...

kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
cordell
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: Moving paging file and make Capture NX2 faster...

Post by cordell »

thanks for all of your hard work on NX2. it has helped me out a lot.