Nikon Capture NX2: my setup under Win7 64bit...

Information about Nikon Capture NX: Users experiences, updates, tutorials, links, etc...

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Nikon Capture NX2: my setup under Win7 64bit...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Update 2010.08.24: Nikon released Capture NX v 2.2.5, click here for download info.
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

:!: :!: The underneath article has been written in relation to Capture NX2 v. 2.2.4, but I am sure that underneath information can be helpful for the latest version as well :!: :!:

********************************************************************************************
:!: :!: :!: :!: Important note before reading this topic: :!: :!: :!:

Legal disclaimer: This article is meant as a help for people who have problems installing Capture NX2 based on the experiences of another ordinary NX2 software user. The owner of this website nor the author of this topic have any responsability in possible problems or loss of data you may encounter while installing software and/or updates in the way as it is described.
The information written in this article are findings of a user, they are not meant as an official tutorial by any means.
We advice strongly to make all necessary backups of all your files BEFORE starting installation of new software and/or updates.

********************************************************************************************

On the internet I was reading many complaints since a very long time(mostly on Dpreview) about the functionality, stability, crashing, hanging and slowness of Capture NX2.
While I could agree for a certain degree about the speed not being "really fast", I disagree about the other complaints(*).((*)= statement based on my several years with NX and NX2 on PC system, I don't have Mac...)
Back on 2009, February 3th I wrote an article on my website about a successful install of NX2 version 2.1.1, and my findings during the tests I ran lately remain roughly the same.
Under while I installed NX2 already multiple times under different OS's (XPhome, XP pro, Vista, Vista 64bit and Windows7 64bit) and even though I encountered once and a while a little problem, it always got solved and I prefer to work on my Nikon NEF files until jpeg under NX2 far above the adobe alternative. You can read here why this strong preference.

While I have been helped several times on different computer-, photography- and other fora and on the other hand to make my website more interesting I ran some tests to find out more why I run NX2 flawless while others seem to encounter problems and I wrote these recent findings down here in this topic.

My latest test and the screenshots used underneath are made while doing a complete re-install of my Win 7 64 bit PC configuration on behalf of the installation of Fuji HS-HU3 software.This re-install curiously has to go from a Vista 64bit install (which curiously accepts the working of the Fuji HS-HU3 software perfectly) over an upgrade from this Vista 64bit to the Win 7 64bit system. Only while doing this way I can keep a fully functional Fuji software under Win7 -64. Win 7-64 does not accept a native HS-HU 3 software directly(While trying to install HS_HU3 software under Win7-64 a window shows up announcing that this software is not compatible), and virtual XP-mode under Vista-64 or Win7-64 is-despite my initial enthusiasm-, no option anymore...

So now, some practical tips how I get a stable NX2 install under Win 7 64bit:

Here are the Windows side programs I installed before my NX2 install:

The proof I was searching for that there is the necessity for the install of Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 redistributable package showed up here during the install. On the moment I clicked for the Nikon software install, automatically a Microsoft Visal C++ re-configuration window showed up:

And a closer look:

I don't know if there is any relation between NX2 with the other Microsoft Visual C++ packs I mention but, -based upon my personal experience- this is the set you need to make run NX2 flawless .

I also install the ms visual C++ 2005 redistributable package(x64), even though I am quite sure that this package has no relation with NX2 while NX2 is a 32-bit application. I am convinced though that many other applications need this package to run optimal.

--------------------------------------
:!: :!: :!: Important: For a succesful NX2 install under Win7-64bit:
NX1 install clearly indicated that it needs MS Virtual C++ 2005 redistributable package(x86) to make it work. I had the NX1 version and work with a NX2 update .
I always install the ms visual C++ 2005 redistributable package(x86), because NX1 and NX2 are 32 bit applications which need the runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries for applications developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2005 installed.
From the Microsoft website:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)
Brief Description
The Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86) installs runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2005 installed.
TMHO here the big confusion and trouble with a NX2 install on a 64bit OS is located:
People installing NX2 under a MS-64bit OS like Vista64 and Win7-64 think that they do not need the MS visual C++ 2005 redistributable package(x86) on their 64 bit system but confuse oranges with apples... MS visual C++ 2005 redistributable package(x86) installs the runtime components for a 32bit application developed with Visual C++. Nikon Capture is a 32bit application, not a 64-bit application!!!
Capture NX2 needs MS visualC++ 2005 redstributable package(x86), also on a 64bit Windows platform.

From the Microsoft website about MS visual C++ 2005 (x86) and (x64):
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)
Brief Description
The Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86) installs runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2005 installed.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64)
Brief Description
The Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64) installs runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run 64-bit applications developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2005 installed.
But when I installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 redistributable package(x86) Service Pack 1 on it, then NX2 and ViewNX crash, hang and stop working... I cannot explain why, I just found out that it is so.
Strangely enough there seems not to be any compatibility issue between Win7-64 and the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005redistributable package(x86) but there is a very big problem once you install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 redistributable package(x86) Service Pack 1 on that...

Nikon Capture NX and NX2 absolutely need Microsoft .NET Framework to be installed in order to function correctly.
While doing the NX stup, installer asks for the .NET install.

The necessity for .NET framework 2.0 is clearly indicated on the Nikon website since the release of Nikon Capture NX2.0:

• The latest MS OS have .NET framework 3.5 included.
    From the microsoft website:
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
    Brief Description
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0, and includes .NET Framework 2.0 service pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.0 service pack 1.
    Click here to download .NET framework 3.5from the MS website.
  • Underwhile there is .NET framework 4. You can download it here.
About .NET framework 4.0, from the Microsoft website:
.NET Framework 4The .NET Framework is Microsoft's comprehensive and consistent programming model for building applications that have visually stunning user experiences, seamless and secure communication, and the ability to model a range of business processes.

The .NET Framework 4 works side by side with older Framework versions. Applications that are based on earlier versions of the Framework will continue to run on the version targeted by default.

.NET Framework 4 includes the following new features and improvements:
  • Improvements in CLR and BCL
  • Improvements in ADO.NET
  • Enhancements to ASP.NET
  • Improvements in Windows Presentation Foundation
  • Improvements to Windows Workflow Foundation and Windows Communication Foundation
[/list][/list]
Click here to download and install the .NET Framework 4 redistributable package:

--------------------------------------

Download links for the NX2 running environement programs, runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries, updates and more:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86):

Special for 64bit applications:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64)

-----------------------------------

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

Special for 64bit applications:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64)
-----------------------------------

.NET Framework:
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
Microsoft .NET Framework 4

:!: Don't install more software and/or service packs than you need, more software can make your PC run slower and could create a conflict or incompatibility :!:

That's it...
With this configuration I work flawless for quite a while and I assure you that I sometimes use very much PP steps to work on an image(see screenshot of the PP actions of a moonshot underneath), without trouble!!!

I hope I could help some people with this information

I recommend NX2 strongly to all Nikon users, simply while it's great software and to get the best out of your NEF convertion.

Thanks for your attention and kindest regards,

Stany

:!: :idea: :arrow: Important notice: If you search some interesting topics with links to video tutorials, for both Nikon Capture as other software, you probably can find what you are looking fore here.

:idea: If you find this information useful you can do me one very big favor back: register on this forum and become an active member. It fits perfectly together with your membership on other fora, just like I do here, on Dpreview, NikonCafe and some other fora.
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Stany Buyle

Also... check your computer...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Also check your computer on eventually non-compatible software and/or conflicting software, this is easy possible in Win7 ultimate. Conflicting and/or non-compatible software -especially if you use 64bit system-, can cause lots of trouble!
I had some trouble with non-compatible software from my Canon and Epson printers and from a file in Kaspersky internet security... I was getting grey hairs because of this... ;)
kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

Nikon Capture NX2 stability under heavy use samples...

Post by Stany Buyle »

In the discussions about the reliability and stability of NX2, sometimes people with NX troubles might think that those who are succesfull with their NX2 setup don't have problems just because they don't use the program in a heavy way...

To counter these thoughts, I made some screenshots how heavy I use NX2...

I do PP with capture NX with sometimes hundreds of steps, while having multiple NEFs open at the same time, and only in some very seldom cases I had a crash. Those seldom cases date from before the release of a 64bit compatible version.

Some practical examples of the way I sometimes use NX2 in screenshots:

1. ...of the number of NEF files I sometimes PP together:

2....and of the complexity and number of PP steps I sometimes use:

And the final result of an ordinary moonshot made with D700 and 80-400VR at 400mm.

----------------------------------------------------------
If you would like to join this forum, everybody is welcome!, just not anonymous.
You can read how to join this forum here.

Activation to become a registered member you can do yourself just by clicking on the registration button and fill the required fields, while to become an affiliated member who can post pictures, start topics, react to other topics and have access to some supplementary information and download of original files, your initial registration has to be activated by a moderator of this board.
We would be very happy to activate your registration.
Activation of an affiliated forum member account can take upto 48 hours.

Sincerely yours,
Rita B, site owner.
----------------------------------------------------------
kindest regards,

Stany
cordell
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: Nikon Capture NX2 setup under Win7 64bit...

Post by cordell »

Stany, Thank You so much for all the heart and time you put into this. I finally got up the guts to try your process to get NX2 running properly. What a difference it has made. Not so much as a blip in two nights of processing. I am proud to be part of this forum. It is so much nicer than some of the others.

Cordell