Help !!!!!!!!

Adobe Photoshop, Canon DPP, Fuji software, various image post processing software, applications, tutorials, links to tutorials and experiences from our members.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

GerardDuits
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Help !!!!!!!!

Post by GerardDuits »

I'm a classic schooled professional photographer, -under while retired for several years- but I have quite a hard time with RAW conversion software. Dark room was what I learned...

Can someone advice me an easier RAW converter than Adobe?
Thank you.
Gerard
With kind regards,
Gerard Duits, photographer.
http://www.ims-fotografie.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stany Buyle

Re: Help !!!!!!!!

Post by Stany Buyle »

Hi Gerard,

Try Fast stone image viewer. It's pretty simple to work with.

Kindest regards,
Stany
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Raw Photo Processor (http://www.raw-photo-processor.com/RPP/Overview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) actually is the digital version of the old analogue darkroom.
A lot of people find it hard, I find it very logical and it gives the best conversion qualitywise. You may want to give it a try.
Steve Bingham

Post by Steve Bingham »

Actually, Adobe Camera Raw is as simple as you want to make it. Simply use "As shot", then click on "Auto". Done. Your new tiff file can be set to 16 or 32 bit before the conversion (bottom of the dialog page). There are many parameters you can set but they are totally unnecessary in the beginning. Photoshop Elements 11 comes with ACR which has less parameters but works great. This would be a good place to start. Remember, when you get your new tiff file you still need to make some changes to make it sing. You will learn how to dodge, burn, and adjust levels and curves. In addition, there are many automated "filters" out there that avoid some of this "learning" curve.
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

I recognize your concerns. I also learned the dark room with all its dodging and burning and eventually Farmer etc. Old school, both in camera technique and finishing my prints and now on the edge of retirement.
But you don't have to worry, just follow the advice Steve and start with ACR or (much cheaper) Lightroom and you will notice it is pretty easy. You can continue in Ps Elements -and even start completely in PS elements- and do believe me, it really is fun! After a while you can do in minutes the things that used to take a lot more time -and consuming paper and chemicals- in the darkroom.
GerardDuits
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Thanks...

Post by GerardDuits »

Pamela, Stany, Steve and Leen,

Thanks to all of you for your kindness to help me.
Gerard.
With kind regards,
Gerard Duits, photographer.
http://www.ims-fotografie.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;