Playing at portraits

Here affiliated forum members can post pictures...

Moderator: Stany Buyle

James

Playing at portraits

Post by James »

Hi all,

I've been really busy and haven't had much time for photography this year but went to the zoo with my son and my father yesterday and decided to play with the camera a bit while I was there. I had never realised how good the 70-300VR is for close up portraits before!

This was at 300mm wide open (I was trying to find the closest focus distance lol) and just resized for web

and a couple still wide open but at a shorter focal length - see if you can tell which is my son and which is my father lol!

I think he might get into free running or gymnastics looking at the form on the landing!
Guy Van Hooveld
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Re: Playing at portraits

Post by Guy Van Hooveld »

the last two ones are funny, but my favorite is definitely the first one, very nice portrait
Guy Van Hooveld
Nikon equipment, semi-pro photographer My website http://www.techniphoto.com My wiki http://www.techniphoto.com/wiki
James

Post by James »

Guy Van Hooveld wrote:the last two ones are funny, but my favorite is definitely the first one, very nice portrait
snap! The ones of my son are just play ones... Thank you for the feed back Guy :)
Vincent De Vos
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by Vincent De Vos »

First image is very good, two others are good snapshots and great memories. The first picture reminds me to the incredible picture of Mr. Vermeirre on the main website (http://www.fotografie-forum.be/n3-galle ... irre-4.htm) It's a pity we don't read Mr. Vermeirre here very much, I'm sure he is very busy with busyness...
see if you can tell which is my son and which is my father lol!
I'm pretty sure the first one is your father, the seocnd and third your son...
Passioned by beautiful pictures, not a very active photographer though...
Regards,
Vincent

PS I use google translate a lot to write better English. So, if mistake, I's google, not me. ;)
James

Post by James »

I had not seen that picture before and I think it's an unfair comparison! Thank you though!

And how could you tell ;o)

Thanks Vincent,
James
DavidLake
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Cool portrait

Post by DavidLake »

Sheesh that's as sharp as my 70-200VR. What the heck :)
(NPS, WPPI, PPA)
James

Re: Cool portrait

Post by James »

DavidLake wrote:Sheesh that's as sharp as my 70-200VR. What the heck :)
Lets not forget that wide open on my lens is 2 stops closed on yours....

It is a great lens though - it just gets worse the closer you get to infinity focus and 300mm. It's the same lens I use for almost all the motorbike shots I take - I'm actually thinking of getting the 70-200 next (with a 1.4 tc - was thinking 300 f4 but this combo seems to lose nothing in comparison) but it's a *few* months away unless I can get some decent paid work, or the promise of, first! Ideally I'd like the 200-400mm but this is not a very realistic goal!

But the 70-300VR is very light and the VR works well, it's just a bit to slow in normal British weather under trees and I always end up using it at its extreme.

Then I will own 2 zooms though (and both pretty much the same range), shock horror!
DavidLake
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: Cool portrait

Post by DavidLake »

James wrote:
Lets not forget that wide open on my lens is 2 stops closed on yours....

It is a great lens though - it just gets worse the closer you get to infinity focus and 300mm. It's the same lens I use for almost all the motorbike shots I take - I'm actually thinking of getting the 70-200 next (with a 1.4 tc - was thinking 300 f4 but this combo seems to lose nothing in comparison) but it's a *few* months away unless I can get some decent paid work, or the promise of, first! Ideally I'd like the 200-400mm but this is not a very realistic goal!

But the 70-300VR is very light and the VR works well, it's just a bit to slow in normal British weather under trees and I always end up using it at its extreme.

Then I will own 2 zooms though (and both pretty much the same range), shock horror!
Yeah f2.8 is nice, and just about as sharp as f5.6 - you can use it wide open without a 2nd thought - just like the 14-24 and 24-70. But heck for a third the price the 7-300VR is quite nice. Although I think if I was budget constrained and could get by without the reach, the Tammy 70-200 f2.8 is a steal.
(NPS, WPPI, PPA)