HDR - learning through practice (imgs)

Dogs, cats, pets, artistic, experimental,...

Moderator: Stany Buyle

DavidLake
AFFILIATED MEMBER

HDR - learning through practice (imgs)

Post by DavidLake »

Hi Guys & Gals,

I spent a few days in Durango, Colorado & Chama, New Mexico mountain biking. Took some 5 shot burst brackets (-2, -1, 0 ,+1 ,+2) handheld (I was feeling lazy, and already carrying too much gear) to practice HDR PP techniques using Photomatix. Below are some of the results with quite varied looks (remember: not trying to produce sellable prints, trying to understand the process and mostly have fun, right now anyway). Most were quick, but a few got some layers treatment in CS4. The big thing I realized is that even with the available high SS due to clean high ISO of the D3 (and 9 fps) shooting, you really can not expect consistently good (without movement) results without use of a tripod - big surprise right! I also wish Nikon offered 2-stop bracketing as -2 to +2 is not really enough DR for most bright outdoor scenes, and shooting 7 or 9 shot brackets all day gets a bit ridiculous. I won't go into detail of each one, but if anyone has any specific questions or comments we can chat about them. Here they are, thanks for looking. All comments and opinions greatly appreciated. :)

(NPS, WPPI, PPA)
Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: HDR - learning through practice (imgs)

Post by Stany Buyle »

Hi David, thanks for posting these. Very well done.
I like 2,4,5,6 and 8 very much. #8 as my favourite one..
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
DavidLake
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Thanks Stany

Post by DavidLake »

I really am having fun with the HDR stuff. Its a whole different world. Requires a new PP skill set (lots of patience) and careful planning - need to carry a tripod all the time now. Will post a couple more later.
(NPS, WPPI, PPA)
Guy Van Hooveld
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Post by Guy Van Hooveld »

2, 4 and 5 are my favorites. I find the landscapes "too much".
Guy Van Hooveld
Nikon equipment, semi-pro photographer My website http://www.techniphoto.com My wiki http://www.techniphoto.com/wiki
DavidLake
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Hey Guy!

Post by DavidLake »

Yeah, it takes a lot more work with the landscapes - you have to be very discerning with the sliders in Photomatix. I like the look sometimes, and others I don't. It really depends on the mood you want to give with the image. For instance #1 & #3 are over the top, but I think it works - quite foreboding. Not necessarily anything I would print or show off, but neat anyway. But in #7 it was used just to bring out the colors, shadowing, and protect the highlights and I think it looks very close to the actual scene with my high DR eyes :)
(NPS, WPPI, PPA)
IlCatalano
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Post by IlCatalano »

I have not tried the HDR yet, but my personal opinion is that this kind of images you have shown could be attractive in a general sense, but they are a little too extreme and un-natural as photographs.

In the real world, you cannot see this kind of "dinamic" pictures, and in my opinion the HDR tecnique should simply help the photographer in terms of dinamic optimization, avoiding such kind of very strong "pictorial" effects.

Simply my opinion on the HDR philosophy; your works, in terms of tecnical ability are very good.

Cheers

IlCatalano