FX vs DX, what difference in Image Quality

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Roland-BE
AFFILIATED MEMBER

FX vs DX, what difference in Image Quality

Post by Roland-BE »

Can someone explain me the difference in image quality between Nikon DX and Nikon FX cameras?
Greetings,
Roland
Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: FX vs DX, what difference in Image Quality

Post by Stany Buyle »

RolandDeSmedt-BE wrote:Can someone explain me the difference in IQ between Nikon DX and Nikon FX cameras?
D750 and D7200 is a combo I actually use and the only -but important- difference in IQ is the result of different magnification of the original image on the sensor, despite the fact that they have both 24 million pixels.

Sensor size comparison

When I take images of the same subject with a lens set at 24mm on my D750 and at 16mm lens on my D7200 you will basically see exactly the same image. (because of the Nikon 1.5 crop factor)

While looking to both on screen to the same size image, the D7200 image has a 2,35x bigger magnification than the D750 image from what initially has been recorded on the image sensor .
The more you magnify the initial sensor recording, the more you will see artefacts and noise. Up to that bigger pixels have lower noise and less artefacts.

As a matter of fact, the above explanation is the essence, but while digging deeper into that subject, explanation becomes much more complicated.
Iliah Borg or Marianne Oelund could give you a much more detailed explanation on this subject. I will ask them by mail to clarify more.
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
ritaB

Post by ritaB »

How about a phone image quality compared to FX and DX cameras?
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

The sensor is very small. Usually about 1/2,5 of an inch. This equates to about 1cm diagonally. So it will about 90mm square. :|
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

Roland, I don't know what you use your images for, but in general you will not see any difference between the two sensor sizes in prints up to at least 75 cm.
Roland-BE
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by Roland-BE »

Leen Koper wrote:Roland, I don't know what you use your images for, but in general you will not see any difference between the two sensor sizes in prints up to at least 75 cm.
Just family and fun, family album print, family calendar print, no website. I love sharp images, I love OOF backgrounds.
Greetings,
Roland
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

In that case it would be a waste of money to go FX (although nobody forbids you to spend it). Moreover, consider the weight of these two sizes.