Scam Photography Websites You Should Avoid…

Moderator: Stany Buyle

AA2
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Scam Photography Websites You Should Avoid…

Post by AA2 »

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: Scam Photography Websites You Should Avoid…

Post by Stany Buyle »

Hi AA2. Thanks for posting the link. Interesting...
Have to tell you that -until some weeks ago- I would have blocked and deleted such topic on this forum, but since my recent collision with one of their power-horny, stupid, anonymous coward mods, I allow.

A quote from the article, -possibly the naked truth-, that reminds me that I was spending much too much time on that website...
SHAWN wrote: DPreview.com. First, a little background on DPReview.com. Well, one basic fact really, Amazon.com bought DPReview.com a few years back and now DPReview is quite simply just a driver for Amazon.com affiliate links. This isn’t a community of like minded individuals seeking to better themselves, it’s a mixture of paid posters, paid articles, trolls, and noobs who know nothing about photography, bickering and screaming and creating fake content to try and sell their products to people who don’t know any better.
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

One more quote from the article...
SHAWN wrote:Anyone who tries to be rational on this site will probably be banned in short order. Anyone who responds to the angry and abusive paid trolls with anything other than the most obtuse politeness will be banned in short order.(For some reason the trolls never get banned) There is no room for anyone to express an opinion that doesn’t agree with the prevailing thoughts of the article author’s. If the article is pro Sony, you will be jumped on by a pack of chimpanzees for spouting anything other than the most effusive praise for Sony in the comments.

...where I totally agree with...

And...
SHAWN wrote:After spending way too much time on this site and getting banned a lot just for voicing an opinion or disagreeing with the trolls, I’ve come to realize the fact that…

+1
kindest regards,

Stany
Roland-BE
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by Roland-BE »

SHAWN wrote: DPreview.com. First, a little background on DPReview.com. Well, one basic fact really, Amazon.com bought DPReview.com a few years back and now DPReview is quite simply just a driver for Amazon.com affiliate links. This isn’t a community of like-minded individuals seeking to better themselves, it’s a mixture of paid posters, paid articles, trolls, and noobs who know nothing about photography, bickering and screaming and creating fake content to try and sell their products to people who don’t know any better.
Anyone who tries to be rational on this site will probably be banned in short order. Anyone who responds to the angry and abusive paid trolls with anything other than the most obtuse politeness will be banned in short order.(For some reason the trolls never get banned) There is no room for anyone to express an opinion that doesn’t agree with the prevailing thoughts of the article author’s. If the article is pro Sony, you will be jumped on by a pack of chimpanzees for spouting anything other than the most effusive praise for Sony in the comments.
Stany Buyle wrote: Have to tell you that -until some weeks ago- I would have blocked and deleted such topic on this forum, but since my recent collision with one of their anonymous, power-horny, stupid mods, I allow.

??? Banned again?
Greetings,
Roland
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

Roland-BE wrote: Thu 1 Jul 2021 21:36 ??? Banned again?
Hi Roland,
Pure technically I wasn't banned (perhaps under while I am...), but everything I write on DP(PM included) needs the authorization of a mod.

The article on www.learnphotographyskills.com was an eye-opener for me, a cold shower, a huge disappointment while Dpreview was like an extension of my passion for photography, Dpreview was like a hobby... I did spend -for nearly 20 years- 10 times more time on that site than on my own website, with peaks up to 20/30hours/week... I always did my very best to write topics or reactions with serious/valuable content, I double or triple-checked my findings in order to help other camera, lens or -related gear users.
I used to think for many years Dpreview fora was kind of an online photography club where you can meet friends and/or very knowledgeable people as it was in the early days, with photography masters or technical experts like Dirk Vermeirre, Steve Bingham, Leen Koper, Iliah Borg,Geoff Roughton,Thom Hogan, Marianne Oelund and many more...
In the early days they invited you to put your own website in your profile and signature, what I did just like thousands of other members and what I interpreted as "for adding content to their website, you got some free publicity for your own website...". Nobody cared, even some of the friendly mods sometimes supported a link to my website. ("if the content was valuable for other users." (-of course, I also have screenshots of these messages))

After Phil sold his company to that space odyssey guy, step by step trolls and power horny, anonymous moderators took power. Content of what you wrote had to be parallel to the camera sales they push while ridiculous discussions with anonymous trolls -who strangely never got banned as Shawn from learnphotographyskills.com mentions-, were multiplying clicks..
If your website could be or might become micro competition for their big boss (in my case because of a banner of Art &Craft or Audiophil on my website, both great classic photo gear shops with personal contact, advice, gear that you can touch and try next to incredible service after sales), they started to annoy and threaten you. They also check and read your "Personal Messages" with other members. And if they don't like you, your website in your profile becomes invisible for other members...
Finally they banned also my wife's account, an account where she asked once and a while for help in a search for a birthday or X-mas present for me. They banned that account after I used it 1 time to send a friendly request to a moderator after my own account didn't function anymore...(I have screenshots of every moderator's reaction: hundreds...)

Now I know that those dp-fora are nothing more than a commercial trap that makes people write reviews for free of gear they sell and keep people clicking on their site so they can sell advertisements based on their huge number of clicks.
Now I know it was an enormous waste of time.

It's their website, so they do what they want, but for me:
Dpreview, never anymore.
kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

I just saw once more that DP doesn't authorize critical stuff in their fora towards companies who advertise on their website, even if these topics are very kind but rational towards the brand they are talking about, in this case, Nikon with Z9.
The topic with link to this video by Ray Hennessy was posted today by KKnipser and topic number https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66308506

The whole topic was deleted within an hour after having been posted.
How silly...

related topic on this forum: :arrow: AF frustrations with Nikon Z as I had, by someone else
kindest regards,

Stany